Whether it's graduation or a farewell party, here are 10 songs to say goodbye from the 2000s that are sure to bring a tear to the eye or at least an extra-long hug.
- "Graduation (Friends Forever)." Vitamin C's first big hit became an almost instant staple at high school graduations around the U.S. The songs sums up pretty well how many kids feel when they look back on their school days and wonder about a very uncertain future. But the song ends on an uplifting note, with the lines, "I keep, I keep thinking that it's not goodbye; Keep on thinking it's a time to fly."
- "Somewhere Only We Know." One of the first big hits for the British band Keane in 2004, it also became one of the biggest hits of the year worldwide. The lines, "Oh simple thing where have you gone, I'm getting old and I need something to rely on," will resonate with anyone who has had to say goodbye and yearns to go back to how things were before.
- "Goodbye My Lover." In this 2005 hit, James Blunt sings what every guy has felt when a lover leaves him and he knows that she was the one. She was the one who should never have gotten away. It's sad, heartfelt and very personal.
- "Leave Right Now." Another worldwide hit, Will Young's 2004 song about romantic confusion and heartbreak was the exit song on "American Idol" and a song plenty of guys listened to and understood every lyric. Who hasn't had a moment summed up in Young's line, "I think I better leave right now, before I fall any deeper?"
- "Moving On." Taio Cruz's 2007 song isn't sentimental in any way. It's a song sung by a guy who's ready for the next chapter in his life. You can't say it any more clearly than, "I can't wait 'til you're gone away, cause then I can move on."
- "Best Days." Graham Colton's 2007 hit is about the making the most of the time you have and looking forward to the rest of your life and whatever it will bring, yet he starts the song by longing for "one more day" like the ones he once shared with someone special.
- "Breakaway." Kelly Clarkson sings a song written by Avril Lavigne that fits the feeling of anyone who has packed up and moved on, and felt okay about saying goodbye. She closes the song with conviction and confidence, singing, "But I won't forget the place I come from; I gotta take a risk, take a chance, Make a change; And break away, break away, break away."
- "Sweetest Goodbye." Maroon 5 sings of a goodbye that seems to be shortlived, or at least the singer expects his girl to be back because he has some things he wants to say upon her return. For now he just wants the "sweetest goodbye that I ever did receive."
- "Live Your Life." Rapper T.I. and pop superstar Rihanna teamed up for a goodbye song that encourages you to follow your dreams, not let the haters hold you back and otherwise be willing to let go of the people and situations you need to in order to go and "live your life."
- "My Immortal." This Evanescence song sums up the pain felt by someone struggling to say goodbye and realizing that things may never have been as good as he thought they were in the beginning.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.