10 Studio Apartment Interior Design Tips
These 10 studio apartment interior design tips will help you make the most out of your space with style and function. In a confined space, everything must have a purpose. Choosing the right furniture and staying organized can really make a studio apartment feel much larger.
- Having enough storage is essential. Look for furniture that combines function and storage. An ottoman is a perfect example. Buy one that opens up for storage. This is a great place to keep extra blankets and pillows. In addition, an ottoman can act a hard surface for drinks and plates in front of the TV or extra sitting areas for guests.
- Conceal clutter in bins. Extra shoes or last season's clothes can be easily tucked away in bins until you need them later. You can use slim plastic bins that will tuck neatly under the bed.
- Open up your space with mirrors. Mirrors can really make a space look larger. Interior designers use mirrors in studio apartments to reflect light and create a visual image of space. This is easily accomplished by using a large mirror to reflect the room or mirrored furniture.
- Keep the the light from windows uncovered. Placing blinds or heavy drapery over windows makes the room dark. Dark spaces create a crowded feeling. Sheer drapes let the light shine. Rice paper shades also let the light come in but provide privacy.
- Define individual spaces. Setting up designated spaces gives the room flow and functionality. Allowing areas for sleeping, eating and entertaining keeps the room organized.
- Create a focal point to draw the eye. Having a focal wall draws the eyes towards the area. This is easily accomplished by dressing up a fire place if your studio apartment has one or painting one wall a different color. You will also add drama and intrigue to the room.
- Room dividers create walls. Room dividers can create walls in your studio apartment. The divider helps define space and create privacy for the sleeping area. It may also allow you better your furniture arrangement.
- Keep the space simple and clutter-free. The biggest mistakes you can make is putting too much stuff into your studio apartment. With limited space, you really must be choosey on what is allowed into your space. Large furniture makes a room feel crowded and obsessive knickknacks take up valuable space and look cluttered.
- Keep the kitchen area clean. The kitchen is an easy area to get dirty and cluttered fast. Keep everything neatly put away in the cabinets and don’t allow dirty dishes to set in the sink. Keeping the kitchen clean will set the tone for the rest of your studio apartment.
- Enjoy your space. Don’t be afraid to explore new ways to make the room work for you. Design your apartment how you want and create the space that works for you.