10 Tips For Dating With Kids
If you have kids and are ready to start dating, here are ten tips for dating with kids. Sometimes life doesn't go as planned. So you may find yourself out there on the dating scene with kids from a previous relationship. This is more complicated than basic dating when you're on your own, but we're here to help you out!
- Be Honest. Don't announce your kids as soon as you meet someone, but the fact that you have kids should come up on the first date. Women appreciate honesty about the number of kids you have, and other stuff too.
- Don't Introduce Them Right Away. If you are just dating someone for fun, don't introduce them to your kids. Wait until you are serious about someone and would be willing to have a long term relationship before you introduce them to your kids.
- Prioritize. Remember that your kids are always more important than the hot chick that you have one date with. If the kids call with a crisis while you're on a date, you need to head home.
- Age Appropriate. Depending on how old your kids are, you need to figure out how to tell them that you are dating before you introduce them to a new woman. Telling a three year old is different than a teenager. The teenager will be grossed out by the thought of you dating anyone.
- Gradual. A gradual introduction is best. Don't plan a weekend getaway for your kids' first meeting with one of your dates. Start off with a casual take out dinner at your home so the kids can retreat to their room if they don't feel comfortable.
- Names. Don't force your kids to call your new partner "mom." Encourage them to come up with a unique pet name that still shows respect.
- Discipline. Remember that you are the parent. A new woman you're dating shouldn't be in charge of punishing your kids unless you're engaged and she's going to be a step-mom.
- Money Doesn't Buy Love. Avoid the temptation of giving your kids expensive gifts because you feel guilty for spending time dating a new lady.
- Each Kid is Different. If you have several kids they will each adapt to the new person at a different rate. There is nothing you can do to speed up this process.
- Fun. It's okay to date someone for fun. Just make sure that your kids don't meet women you're not serious about.
Dating when you have kids can be a challenge, but it is worth the effort. Just remember to really get to know a new woman before you introduce her to your children. If you pick a great new woman that you want to have more kids with, make sure she gets along with the kids you already have, otherwise you've doomed yourself to a life of misery.