10 Tips For Dating Muslim Women
If you are dating a Muslim women, you will want to know 10 tips for dating Muslim women. Dating across cultural barriers can be tricky in any circumstance, and you will need to take special care when dating Muslim women if you are not Muslim yourself. Respect for her culture and religion are a must if you want the relationship to work out.
- Understand that she may not be able to, or desire to, go out on one on one dates. In general, Muslim women are required to have chaperones when they go out. Dinners with her family are going to be more common than meals out with just the two of you.
- Find out if she is permitted to go on group dates. Group dates are considered "Halal dating" and have become more common among more liberal Muslims.
- Remember that Islam prohibits sex before marriage. If she is devout, this will be a relationship that does not involve sex. In fact, in the most strict situations, cuddling and kissing are forbidden, as well.
- Ask her about any dietary restrictions. At the very least, she probably will not eat pork, so, dates at the local barbecue joint are out. If she keeps to a Halal diet, which is a diet that satisfies strict standards similar to a kosher diet, look into area restaurants that serve food that is certified Halal. As in any dating situation, respect for her comfort is polite and beneficial.
- Be aware that she probably does not drink. Most Muslims, especially Muslim women, abstain from alcohol. Dates at bars would probably not be a good idea. If you like to have a glass of wine with dinner, ask her whether this would make her uncomfortable before you order yourself a drink.
- Be aware that she may not be able to date someone who is not Muslim, or who is not willing to convert to Islam. Devout Muslims are encouraged to only marry other Muslims, as it is feared that marrying outside their faith can damage their commitment. This is common in other religions, too. For instance, many conservative Catholic priests are still hesitant to preform a marriage between a Catholic and a non-Catholic.
- Be willing to get married. Living together outside of marriage will not be allowed. In general, it is assumed that if you when you begin dating a Muslim woman, you will get married.
- Cultivate a relationship with her family. They have strong authority in her life, and their approval is necessary if you wish to be allowed to date a Muslim woman.
- Respect her modesty, and dress modestly yourself. Islam requires that both men and women dress modestly to show respect to Allah. You can show your respect to a Muslim woman you want to date by dressing modestly, as well.
- If there is ever a situation where you are not sure what is proper, ask her or a family member. When crossing cultural borders, it's easy to make mistakes. By being willing to ask questions, you can prevent accidentally causing offense.