10 Tips For Developing Healthy Relationships
Developing a healthy relationship is important to allow any relationship to flourish so here are 10 tips for developing healthy relationships. No matter what your situation; married, dating or single, these tips can help you realize how to build a relationship the right way.
- Listen. Listening is one of the most important ways to help build a healthy relationship because no one wants to feel like their thoughts or wishes are being ignored. The next time you are talking to your partner, be sure that you have an open mind and are listening as well as giving positive input.
- Communicate. Communication is almost as important as being a good listener. It is imperative to make your feelings known as well as listening to your partner's feelings. Hidden feelings, secrets and non-communication can lead to a breakdown in the relationship so always use the best communication skills possible.
- Show that you care. Little things that you can do for someone else can show that you care. If your partner works just as much as you do then help around the house or offer to do something for them that may help lessen their burden. Even if you don't live together you can offer to pick up dinner or the dry cleaning. Showing that you are aware of how much they do can make all the difference in building on a healthy relationship.
- Be aware of your partner. Sometimes another person won't tell you outright that they are feeling sad, depressed or angry. You may feel that something is wrong but they won't let you know. It is a good idea to let them know that you are open to discussing whatever the problem is. Not noticing that your partner is in a certain mood can lead to them believing that you don't care or don't take the time to notice their feelings.
- Compliment. If your girlfriend or wife has a new hair cut or a new dress and they look good, take notice and compliment them. Everyone loves to be complimented or noticed and women are not the exception to the rule. In fact, they love compliments perhaps more than some men do. It is always a good idea to share a compliment and let them know how good you think that they look.
- Learn to lose. In certain situations and arguments you may be in the right but sometimes it doesn't hurt to take one for the team and let your partner win. Being right won't make you feel better if it is at the expense of your relationship.
- Surprise her. Being spontaneous and adventurous can put a spark into your relationship and forge a healthier sense of togetherness.
- Don't seethe. If you are angry that's fine, it happens. However, letting something build up to a point that can be unhealthy is not recommended. If you're angry just address the situation and move on. Arguments happen but they shouldn't be something that causes adversity after the fact.
- Be more tolerant. Everyone gets annoyed at some time or the other based on what others do. Your partner may do something that annoys you but don't let it become the focus of your relationship.
- Do unto others. Think of how you'd like to be treated in the relationship and apply that to yourself. If you don't like it when she shows up late then don't be the person that does the same exact thing. What is good for her is good for you as well.
By using these tips for developing healthy relationships you should be able to apply them to every day life and have a healthier relationship with your partner.