10 Tips For Dieting Safely
Learn 10 tips for dieting safely and see the pounds melt away while maintaining an adequate intake of vitamins and minerals. Many diet pills, fads and gimmicks on the market today require dieters to follow unusual or very low calorie diet plans to achieve weight loss. Instead of suffering through one of these, follow a few simple steps to create your own healthy diet plan for safe and effective fat loss.
- Consume at least 1200 calories a day. This is the minimum number of calories needed by most people to keep their bodies from entering starvation mode, when the body lowers the metabolism in an effort to conserve calories. This is not dieting safely and is counterproductive to your weight loss efforts as well.
- Eat a variety of foods to provide all the different vitamins and minerals your body needs. Diets encouraging you to eat only carbohydrates, just protein or simple fruit juice for days on end are not healthy because they can not provide everything the body needs to operate at optimum levels. Instead, choose small servings of many different healthy foods throughout the day.
- Choose fresh food over prepackaged, processed food. Prepared foods comprise the majority of the choices in the supermarket today, but healthier choices exist. Purchase fresh fruits and vegetables, unprocessed meats and other foods as close to their original state as possible to cut down on high fat, sodium and preservatives in your food.
- Cut unhealthy fats but don't cut fats out completely. Most people get way too much saturated fat and trans fat in their diets. However, dieting safely means providing our bodies with a certain amount of fat needed to remain healthy. Solve this by choosing foods with healthy fats such as nuts, tuna and salmon.
- Leave the diet pills on the store shelf. Most simply contain various mixtures of herbs, many contain caffeine and none are necessary for successful weight loss. There have even been diet pills over the years recalled by the FDA due to their dangerous side effects, so stick to natural weight loss methods for dieting safely.
- Drink plenty of water each day. Nutritionists recommend that people get at least eight 8-oz. glasses of water every day for dieting safely. This seems like a lot to some people, but remember that many fruits and vegetables contain large amounts of water. Most nutritionists say that this water content counts toward your daily requirement.
- Do not aim for more than a one to two pound weight loss per week for dieting safely. Losing more than this means you are either eating too few calories or engaging in too much physical activity for your calorie level. Faster weight loss is also less likely to stay off over the long-term, leading to the dangerous practice of yo-yo dieting.
- Consult your family physician before beginning your weight loss plan if you have a significant amount of weight to lose or other health conditions with which you deal. A visit to the doctor's office ensures that you are in good health and ready to begin your weight loss journey through dieting safely.
- Consider taking a multivitamin. This acts somewhat as insurance for your body during this time of lowered calorie intake. Your food should cover nutritional needs naturally most days, but a multivitamin taken once a day helps fill in any gaps.
- Include some moderate exercise as part of your overall lifestyle change. This increases the effectiveness of your diet plan by building muscle and encouraging your body to burn calories. It also begins a new, healthy habit for you that will help keep the weight off over the years.