10 Tips On Long Distance Relationships
Whether you met online, or one of you is in the military, here are 10 tips on long distance relationships. Long distance relationships can work, the two people in the relationship just, both, have to want it to work. Love can win out in the end, when the two love birds can be together again, or even together for the first time.
- Defining the relationship is the first step in any relationship, long distance or not. Are the two of you just friends, or do you want this to be a romantic relationship? Find out if you both want the same thing. If both parties are not on the same page as to where the relationship is going to go then it will not work out. This is also the time to decide if the relationship is exclusive.
- Again, in all relationship both parties must be honest with each other. Just because you are not standing face to face with someone doesn't make it okay to lie to them. be honest, share how you feel. If you are having doubts, or fears, it is important to discuss them, not just let them build up in your mind. Be open, be honest.
- Be patient. Getting upset about not being able to see the person you are with in a long distance relationship is not going to make the relationship any easier. be patient and find constructive things to do with your time until you are able to see each other again.
- Keep the spice alive. Even in long distance relationships a healthy sexual relationship can be important. To keep the mind from wandering to others have fun phone sex, or get a web cam and have a little frisky fun to keep the two of you thinking about only each other.
- Write each other love notes, by hand, and mail them through the post office. Nothing has ruined real romance as much as technology has. Women have always loved receiving poetry and love letters, but with the advent of computers everything is digital now. Show your long distance lover that you really care by digging out a pen and paper and spending some money on a stamp.
- It's the thought that counts. It is important for the people in a long distance relationship to know that their partner is thinking about them. Send an email, out of the blue, that just says "I love you" or "You are in my thoughts today." It will make both of you feel more secure.
- Give a gift even if it isn't a holiday. Send your long distance girlfriend some flowers at work. This is sure to make her feel special. And it shows those co-workers that make fun of her for having a long distance relationship that it is truly love.
- Talk to each other every day. Whether it is online or on the phone, keep in contact. You will feel like you are in a more "real" relationship and be able to withstand your time apart.
- Schedule a date night each week. Rent or go out to the same movie. Go home and get on the phone and talk about the movie afterwards. Eat at the same restaurant, in your respective cities.
- The other most important step to making a long distance relationship work is to never assume anything. Just because she doesn't answer the phone doesn't mean she is out cheating on you. Maybe she got called into work. Push the bad thoughts out and call back later.