10 Tips For Long Distance Relationships
Looking for 10 tips for long distance relationships? It's simple but very difficult. It takes patience, determination and love to really make a long distance relationship work. It also takes creativity and passion. This article will outline the most basic and core techniques to help keep a long distance relationship thriving during times of separation and keep the fire burning.
- Communication should always be an open line. If you are dealing with a long distance love, you should always make it known that communication is open 24/7--everyday, all day.
- Set rules and boundaries upfront. It's very important to set standards, rules and boundaries to know when the line is crossed. Set up standards for the relationship such as when you might see each other. Set up certain boundaries. For example, an exclusive dinner or holding hands with someone who isn't your lover isn't accept for the one waiting for you at the other side.
- Do things together even if you are apart. Long distance relationships are very difficult but very bonding in other ways. If you are away from your lover, you don't have to exclude every activity. Get a webcam, set up live video chat and simply listen to music, play a game or watch the same television show and experience it together via the internet. Technology is an amazing thing and it can also bring you closer to those you love without physically being there.
- Meet the physical needs of your relationship in other ways. The number one tasks of long distance relationships seems to be the physical part of a relationship. Just because you two cannot have sex doesn't mean you can't experience the same euphoria in different ways. Buy a webcam and connect with your lover online. Consider that if you are craving that person, webcam sex or exploring your body and letting the other person watch will satisfy your needs as well as theirs by viewing it. Phone sex is just as effective. It brings you both closer mentally, even though you are so far apart.
- Send snail mail. This is a very effective romantic gesture you can make to your loved one. Send pictures and hand written letters to leave an expression.
- Make mixtapes. Old school is always fun and effective. Make a burned CD or playlist of the songs that remind you of your loved one and send it to them via snail mail or online.
- Send something special of yours. Whether it's an old sweatshirt with your scent or a lucky talisman, send your love something she can physically remember you by.
- Be realistic. Set up goals and meetings realistically to avoid fighting and arguments. If you plan to see your love on a certain weekend, make it there. If not, set a goal you both agree on and stick to it. Make sure the other knows the exact arrangements to save both of you the hassle.
- Trust. Trust is the most important thing in a relationship, especially a long distance relationship. To trust someone means to give up all assumptions made and completely put your faith in another person. Never let jealously and envy get the best of you. Yes, your lover might have friends that you don't know but that doesn't mean you should assume the worse or get jealous. Talk about everything and tell each other about every person in your life, even if you just met them.
- Commitment. The best tips anyone could give anybody on long distance relationships is that if you feel like the relationship is worth the fight, keep fighting. Keep trying and give the relationship your all to make sure it is successful. If it's truly worth it, you will fight and do anything you must do to keep the flame burning.