Do you need 10 tips for practicing abstinence? To truly be abstinent, you must refrain from sexual intercourse and all sexual relations. Practicing and remaining abstinence can be quite difficult, especially for men. There are numerous reasons to practice abstinence: Maybe your religion frowns upon sex before marriage; you may want to prevent getting your girlfriend pregnant or you might be afraid of contracting an STD. Whatever your reason, these ten tips can help.
- Get a hobby. Hobbies are a great way to distract yourself from sex. Find a hobby you can become passionate about. Whether it is exercising, sports or bird watching, a hobby can help you get your mind off sex.
- Avoid temptation. Avoiding people and activities that may tempt you can help you to stay abstinent. Steer clear of sexually suggestive material as well.
- Learn to say no. You should never succumb to peer pressure. You are going to be peer pressured a few times while you are practicing abstinence. If you learn to say no, you will not falter.
- Date someone who has the same views. Though you are practicing abstinence, you can still have a great time and date the opposite sex. If you are dating someone who feels ready for sex, you are much more likely to not remain abstinent. To make things easy on you, don't date someone who is and/or wants to be sexually active.
- Build a support system. There is going to be a lot of negative opinions about your decision to be abstinent; learn to ignore them. Your friends and family may need some time to understand your decision, but once they understand your reasoning, they will most likely support you. Along with friends and family as your support system, you can get a mentor. Your mentor should be someone who is currently abstinent or has practiced abstinence in the past. He/she will be of great help to you by being there for you and giving you support.
- Brief contact with your significant other. When you are kissing your significant other, keep the contact very brief. Long, extended kisses can lead to touching and more physical activity that is inappropriate. This can cause you to lose control.
- Communicate with your significant other. Talk to your partner if you feel a certain situation is too sexually tempting. If she knows how you feel, she can help you remain abstinent more easily. You may have to leave certain situations if you feel you are having difficulty.
- Spend some time with other people/couples who are abstinent as well. Being around people who share the same beliefs and goals as you can help motivate you. It can also help you avoid situations that are sexually tempting.
- Avoid drugs/alcohol. These substances can impair your judgment, which may lead to a moment of weakness. Avoiding these things can help you keep a clear head and remain abstinent.
- Fill your head with encouraging thoughts. Spend some time filling your head with encouraging, non-sexual thoughts on a regular basis. This is a great way to stay abstinent.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Now Fat and Scruffy, Mark-Paul Gosselaar Tells Us All About ...
The man formerly known as Zack Morris is hairier, heftier and playing a Major League catcher in the new FOX show.