10 Tips For Scuba Diving In Cozumel
These 10 tips for scuba diving in Cozumel are a refresher course for those who have already enjoyed the activity and a partial guide for those who are planning a trip. Located in Mexico, Cozumel has a tropical feel and the atmosphere alone lends itself to getting into the water and taking a look around.
- Know the reefs. For those scuba diving in Cozumel, there are 25 coral reefs to choose from. Select the area as part of your trip itinerary. A travel advisor can usually help you select.
- Pick the right season. Scuba diving in Cozumel is better at certain times of the year. Remember that the area is subject to certain weather issues during the spring and fall.
- Get certified before you go. Some resorts and diving companies require that you have a certification when scuba diving in Cozumel. Getting your certification before leaving will save you the time when on vacation of completing this requirement.
- Find a reputable dive operation. When planning for scuba diving in Cozumel, consult with those who have completed the trip or a travel advisor to find a reputable diving company.
- Contact the diving rental company prior to the trip. Scuba diving in Cozumel is a popular activity. Call to reserve your gear prior to leaving on your trip.
- Go with a guide. When scuba diving in Cozumel, it is tempting to go out on your own. This is not a recommended idea. Find a guide to take you to your selected reef.
- Know the species. When scuba diving in Cozumel, you will encounter many sea dwelling creatures. Get to know what lives in the selected area to avoid those which may not be safe to get near.
- Take a camera. For scuba diving in Cozumel, a camera is almost a necessity. There is so much to see and remember. Purchase an underwater camera, either disposable or for keeps.
- Stay at your level. Accessible areas when scuba diving in Cozumel can be deep and remote. For the beginning diver, it is not recommended to venture into some of these regions. Be honest with your guide about your level of diving skill.
- Be safe. Anytime you are in a foreign country, safety is top priority. Do not get caught up in the beauty of the area and let your guard down. Keep your passport and other papers in a safe at the hotel while you are scuba diving in Cozumel.