10 Tips For Surviving Long Distance Relationships
Love across the miles is difficult, so follow these 10 tips for surviving long distance relationships. Commitment may be hard enough for people to accomplish and when the relationship is long distance, this makes the task of staying together challenging. These ten tips for surviving a long distance relationship should be utilized for successful allegiance.
- Make an agreement. Discuss what the expectations are in the relationship. Once a known baseline of beliefs and anticipation are determined, both partners can continue to nurture the relationship.
- Ask questions. Knowing the boundaries of commitment and loyalty are important when surviving a long distance relationship. Find out if she will date other people. Find out how serious your girlfriend is to committing to this relationship. Don't be afraid to ask questions to clarify the mindset of the partner involved.
- Discover feelings. Once an established boundary is set, each person needs to determine feelings of affection, love and commitment. Why is this love important? What does this person have that is liked? What are common interests shared? Make a mental list and talk to the other person.
- Cherish time together. Since the distance is the biggest factor, make sure to enjoy the limited time you have together. Plan on meeting as often as possible. Meet halfway if allowable and make the best of the time spent together. This is an important tip for surviving long distance relationships.
- Open communication. When having a long distance relationship, make sure to keep the lines of communication open. This is a crucial piece of information and tip for surviving long term relationships. Since the distance is the hardest hurdle, keep talking and sharing.
- Keep it fresh. Always make sure to share daily life with your partner. Keep the person in the loop of what is happening in your life. Think of it as sharing work life and family life over the dinner table; it's just being done over the telephone or computer.
- Remember separate life. Even if communication isn't daily, keep up with your personal life like normal. Missing each other will be obvious, but each of you had a life before the connection was made. These separate life moments can add to the conversation when contact is made.
- Surprise each other. Plan an unexpected visit to see the other person. Spend a long weekend together and enjoy each other's company. It's the little things that keep any relationship exciting.
- Be creative. Love notes and special trinkets can't be shared as often for long distance relationships so try and be creative. Send text messages and pictures sharing life. Use technology and send emails counting down the days until a reunion.
- Build anticipation. When communicating, tell the other person what is being anticipated when meeting again. Share your fantasies and thoughts going through your mind. Plan a special meeting to rejoice in reconnecting.