10 Tips For Swimming
These 10 tips for swimming will not get you to the Olympic finals, but they can improve your trip through the water. Whether cruising through the pool for leisure or saving your life in a boating accident, knowing how to swim is important to any who wish to make water a part of their lives. Never assume you can swim. It is a learned practice.
- Get instruction. The first tip for swimming is to get a certified swimming instructor. Before you can jump into the water, you need to know what you are doing.
- Extend your arms. The next tip for swimming is to extend your arms to their fullest length. When practicing freestyle, butterfly or even breast stroke, it is important to extend the arms to full length during the stroke. This ensures maximum muscle use and a full stroke.
- Point your toes. Another tip for swimming is to always point your toes. Regardless of the leg stroke being used, the toes should be pointed so the foot becomes more like a flipper.
- Breathe. A simple, yet important tip for swimming is to breathe at the appropriate time. Different strokes allow for breathing at different points during the stroke. Remember to take that breath.
- Open your eyes. It is common when in the water for people to close their eyes. This tip for swimming tells you to keep them open. You need to see where you are going. Wear goggles if necessary.
- Wear the right gear. Another simple tip for swimming is to wear the right gear for the activity. A baggy pair of long shorts are not always the best thing to swim in.
- Know the water. Before you jump right in, use this tip for swimming and know the area. For a pool, know how deep the water is. For a lake or ocean, be aware of the depth and the current.
- Know your limits. Use this tip for swimming to save your own life. Every athlete has their stopping point in every sport, but in swimming, exhaustion can lead to drowning and death. Do not over do the activity.
- Have a buddy. This tip for swimming can save your life. Never to swimming alone. If an accident should occur, a buddy can go for help, or help you out of the water themselves.
- Do aerobics. The final tip for swimming is to do aerobic exercise in and out of the water. This type of exercise can assist in increasing lung capacity and build up endurance.