Now that you’ve decided to get in shape by running, here are ten tips for training for running. Running is one of the easiest sports to get into, because you only need some basic equipment and the will to do it.
- Eat Properly. Runners need carbohydrates for fuel and protein to rebuild their muscles. Eat a small, balanced meal two hours before you run, and another small balanced meal after you’re done.
- Mileage. It’s best to start out small, and gradually build up your mileage. Most experts recommend you up your mileage by ten percent each week, as long as you are injury free.
- Running Clubs. If there is a running club nearby, consider running with other people. This will help you get used to running around others.
- Cross Training. Schedule at least one down day each week. When you’re not running, try swimming, yoga or bike riding. This gives your muscles a chance to recover.
- Core Strength. Do exercises like plank, situps and pushups to strengthen your core muscles. You need these muscles to power through those long runs.
- Shoes. Make sure you have a good pair of shoes. They don’t need to be the most expensive shoes out there, but they need to provide good support. Go to a running store and have someone analyze your gait to make sure you get a good fit.
- Socks. Your socks need to wick away moisture to keep your feet happy. The fewer seams the better. After a long run, seams can cause blisters from repetitive rubbing.
- Shorts. Length is a personal choice. Try out different brands until you find a good fit. Most modern shorts have a built in liner, so there’s no need to wear underwear.
- Watch. There are hundreds of sports watches on the market. For distance running, you need a watch that is water resistant and has a stopwatch feature. It should be able to track hours, minutes and seconds. Look for buttons that are easy to find when you’re working hard, but not too easy to hit by accident.
- Rest. When you’re doing a lot of running, you need to get a lot of rest. Your body needs time to recuperate and rebuild.
Running is a great way to work out, but make sure you get a physical from your doctor if you haven’t worked out in a long time, before you start a new running routine.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."