10 Tips For Travel In Nepal
Consider these 10 tips for travel in Nepal to make your trip more enjoyable. Nepal can be a great place to visit. However, many of their customs are a lot different than we are used to here in America. Therefore, it's important to plan accordingly. There's no need to be known as the "Ugly American" when traveling around the country.
- Keep bills in good condition. This is a really important tip for travel in Nepal, because money in bad condition is rarely accepted. For instance, if the money is ripped or torn, banks will be unlikely to take it. Keep your money looking fresh and new so you won't encounter any problems.
- Banks have different hours than most of those in the U. S. Typically, they are open Sunday through Friday from 10:00 AM to 3:30 PM. If you need to go to the bank for money exchanges, plan accordingly. The Nepali money they use is known as the Rupee, which is what you will see at the banks.
- Buses or vans can be very crowded. If you have a problem with personal space being invaded, this is an important tip for travel in Nepal to take into consideration. For instance, it's not uncommon to see a ten-passenger van squeezing in seventeen people at a time. They are going to fit as many as they possibly can each trip.
- One sightseeing option is to visit the jungle. It's very important that you plan accordingly when doing so. Make sure to take a lot of water. Also, be aware of leeches. They are around, so it's necessary to watch your step. It would also be a good idea to take some salt with you. Always be prepared.
- When trying Nepali food, try the Dhal Bhat Takari. This is a staple food in Nepal. Each area makes it a bit different, so try it a couple of times during your travels through the country. It's extremely good, which is why this is one of the top tips for travel in Nepal.
- Almost nothing will have a price tag on it when you're shopping in Nepal. Those running the shop will tell you the price. A good rule of thumb is to offer 50% of the price they tell you. They likely won't agree to it, but it's a good way to barter and get a really good deal. Don't be afraid to bargain, because they expect it.
- Drink bottled water. This tip for travel in Nepal is important so you don't get sick. Not only that, but don't get ice in your drinks. It may be fine, but it's a good precaution to take. The only exception to this is the water stations that are along some trekking routes. They have safe drinking water in order to reduce plastic waste.
- The coffee may not be as strong as you are used to. If you're used to coffee from Starbucks, you will in for a shock. However, the coffee in Nepal its actually really good coffee. It has a lot of flavor and even non-coffee drinkers may find it appealing.
- Pay attention to the signs when entering a religious site. This is another important tip for travel in Nepal, because each have different rules. For instance, in some, you may be required to remove your shoes. For a second example, you are to walk clockwise around stupas. Not only that, but some temples only allow Hindus to enter.
- Keep public affection to a minimum. This final tip for travel in Nepal is an important part of maintaining good manners. Showing public affection is frowned upon. For example, some of the younger Nepali generations hold hands in public. Even that is looked down upon, though.