10 Tips For Understanding And Improving Your Libido
Familiarize yourself with these 10 tips for understanding and improving your libido for a healthy and happier sexual experience. Libido naturally ebbs and flows over the course of a lifetime. It is important to understand this a natural occurrence. Once you know this and are able to discuss it openly with your partner and your doctor, you can begin improving your libido to once again enjoy all that life has to offer.
- Libido is closely tied to testosterone levels. Testosterone levels for men begin tapering off during mid-life and drop drastically as men reach their later years. Many signs of aging in males is due to lower testosterone levels. Libido is no exception.
- Libido is also affected by psychological health. Understanding and improving your libido means recognizing that stress, anxiety and depression may all negatively affect your sex drive. Alternately, it is not unusual for men who feel happy and fulfilled in most facets of life to experience an increase in their libido.
- Medical causes of low libido are not uncommon. Diseases and conditions such as diabetes and heart disease, which may be seemingly unrelated to sex, can lower a man's libido. Men experiencing issues with low libido should first have a thorough medical examination done to rule out disease as a cause.
- Understanding and improving libido may depend on understanding the medications you are taking. Some medications, especially antidepressants, can lower a man's libido. In this case, adjusting the dose or trying a different medication may be helpful.
- Testosterone replacement therapy may help in understanding and improving your libido. Though not as common as hormone replacement therapy in women, this treatment has been used successfully by many men for improving libido. Talk to your doctor to find out if this treatment may be helpful for you.
- Understanding and improving your libido is best done by men who feel good about themselves and their lives. Just like women, self-consciousness, poor body image or mental conditions such as depression can cause low libido. If you are dealing with issues such as depression, you are less likely to be able to work effectively toward understanding and improving your libido.
- Try exercise to improve your libido. Exercise can potentially improve you libido through several means. Not only does exercise increase chemicals in the brain which make you feel good, it also improves your health and lowers your risk of several diseases which may otherwise lower your libido. Exercise can help in weight loss or maintenance, improving your libido in cases related to poor body image. Exercise also reduces stress, another possible cause of low libido in men.
- Take medication to improving your libido. Just as some medications can cause problems of low libido in men, others may do just the opposite. Talk to your doctor if you think medication may help.
Work on your relationship. Though not as often talked about, male libido problems can be caused by relationship factors. If you are unhappy in your relationship, this is likely taking its toll on your libido.
- Try natural remedies for understanding and improving your libido. Supplements such as DHEA and herbs like yohimbe and ginseng are often recommended for improving libido. Be sure to check with your doctor first, especially if you are currently on other medications which may have an negative interaction with such herbs.