10 Whitewater Canoeing Tips
By keeping some basic guidelines and these 10 whitewater canoeing tips in mind, you can learn how to properly use a whitewater canoe. No matter if you are an expert or just a beginner, there are several important tips to keep in mind.
- Have a properly working whitewater canoe. This is important for both your safety, as well your enjoyment. Make sure the canoe is in top working order and doesn't require any repairs.
- Wear a lifejacket when canoeing. This is almost as important as step number one. Wearing a lifejacket will ensure your safety in the event of an emergency.
- Take a lesson. Taking a lesson from a properly trained canoeing professional can never hurt, especially if you are new to the sport. Ask friends or family members to recommend a good teacher.
- Purchase the right equipment. Having the right equipment on hand when you are canoeing will not only prevent injury, but will make the trip more enjoyable.
- Canoe in water that is the right difficulty level. Canoeing in water that is too advanced can be very dangerous, and canoeing in water that is too easy will make for a boring trip.
- Map the trip. Make sure you are aware of where the river you are whitewater canoeing in will lead to in the event that you need to be rescued.
- Carry food and water. In the event that you do get stranded, this will get you through at least a few days in the wilderness.
- Carry a cell phone. This is similar to tip number seven. In the event that there is an accident, a cell phone can be an extremely useful piece of equipment to have nearby.
- Tell friends where you are going. This way, if you don't turn back up where you are supposed to, someone will have an idea about your last location.
- Have fun! This is what canoeing is all about.
Posted on: Aug. 17, 2010