Here are the 10 worst movie directors. With the exception of two or three, many of the directors on this list have managed a decent, entertaining flick now and then. Unfortunately, that translates into the production of more bad movies that continue to get peddled onto the public despite the obvious fact that most of these directors can’t actually direct.
- Michael Cimino. Cimino is one of the worst movie directors for squandering the enormous opportunity presented to him early in his career. He broke out with the phenomenal “The Deer Hunter”, which took home five Oscars, including Best Director and Best Picture. Cimino took a huge dump on all that goodwill, however, by releasing “Heaven’s Gate” next, a critical and commercial bomb. He hasn’t directed any mainstream successes since.
- Kevin Smith. Fanboys and girls will balk at Smith’s inclusion on the worst movie directors list, but the guy has lost his edge since “Dogma”. From there, Smith’s movies went to hell in a wicker hand basket. “Zack & Miri Make a Porno” might have been decent, but KS is going to have to hit it out of the park soon before he fades into has-been status.
- Michael Bay. Michael Bay doesn’t bother with plot or that silly little thing called “story”. Instead, he traffics in explosions, big booms with a little bit of pew-pew gunfire for added sensory overload. His films are nothing but fluff—visually striking but lacking depth and subtext, and they crumble beneath repeat viewings.
- Roland Emmerich. Known for big-budget blockbusters, Emmerich has specialized in natural disasters and period epics for the past ten years . Explosions and mass carnage at the hands of unstoppable natural elements rule the day in his films, with story and realism taking a distant back seat in his minivan of mediocrity.
- Rob Cohen. Cohen toiled in TV land for many years before directing “Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story” in 1993. But much like Kevin Smith, the quality of Cohen’s movies took a nosedive with movies like “Daylight”, “The Skulls”, “Fast and the Furious”, “Stealth”, and “xXx”.
- George Lucas. The genius behind “THX 1138” and “American Graffiti” has never been universally acclaimed as a director. But he left no room for praise after the debacles that were the three "Star Wars" prequels. Guess that’s what happens when a guy goes 22 years between directing gigs.
- Renny Harlin. Renny Harlin is the poor man’s Luc Besson, a man with a penchant for action thrillers who’s forever stuck in the purgatory of his bland movies. What started with “A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master” culminated in a crap mountain littered with forgettables such as “Die Hard 2”, “Cliffhanger”, “Deep Blue Sea”, “Exorcist: The Beginning”, and “The Covenant”.
- Mick Garris. This man, deservedly on the list of worst movie directors, is responsible for the crappiest of crap King adaptations. This lineup includes “Desperation”, “Riding the Bullet”, “The Shining” miniseries, and “The Stand” miniseries. But Mick’s fingerprints can also be found on the classic gems “Psycho IV: The Beginning” and “Critters 2: The Main Course”.
- Ed Wood. Somewhat of a cult figure nowadays, Ed Wood nevertheless directed a lot of bad movies in his time. Most infamous is “Plan 9 from Outer Space," a movie mocked so much it’s now a camp classic. When a movie based on your life as a director gets more rave reviews than all your movies put together (1994’s “Ed Wood” by Tim Burton), you know you were one of the worst movie directors.
- Uwe Boll. Long live the worst movie director! Boll hasn’t directed a single good flick. Not one. Zip. Zilch. Boll loves to make movies based on video games. The only problem? He stinks at it. And by the looks of things, he sucks at making non-video game movies, too. But he just won’t stop. He makes a couple movies every year, never letting up, so you’d think he would have learned to do it right by now. Apparently, however, he doesn’t watch his own work, or he’d empathize with the pain his audiences are going through.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?