The 10 young black entrepreneurs described below have all made tremendous success in the business world. Their work ethics, attitude, and life stories have since become a popular topic. Read on to find out how these young black entrepreneurs make a way for themselves in this extremely competitive business industry.
- Farrell Gray. At age twenty, Gray may be one of the youngest millionaire in the world. He grew up in East Chicago and had experienced poverty and many other social hardships during his childhood. He started his first business at age six by selling household objects. When Gray was thirteen, he managed to convince a group of businessmen to invest and he then started his first company: FarrOut Foods. Farrell Gray is undoubtedly one of the most inspiring young black entrepreneurs.
- Jay Z. Jay Z is famous not only as a singer, but also as one of the most successful young black entrepreneurs. Jay Z is now the President and CEO of Def Jam Recordings, one of the biggest brand in the rap circle. Prior to that big venture, Jay Z was already the CEO of Roc-A-Fella. These two big rap brands bring in millions of revenues.
- Bryan "Birdman" Williams. The co-founder of Cash Money Record, Williams was once featured in the TV program "NEWBOs: The Rise of America's Black Overclass." Cash Money now receives 85% royalty and 50% publishing revenues from Universal. So far, Cash Money has sold over 45 millions record. As one of the most successful young black entrepreneurs, Williams's accomplishment is truly inspiring.
- Jerry Roebuck. Roebuck started his business at age twelve when he started selling at street fairs in New York. When he was around seventeen and eighteen, Roebuck became one of the most popular club promoters for discos and parties. He is often seen as one of the most successful young black entrepreneurs as he started the first black record label.
- Jermaine Dupri. Before turning twenty, Dupri has already achieved ample success as a performer and a musician. He then created the label So So Def and had many well-known rap performers under the brand. Soon Dupri started So So Def Sports and began his business in the sports industry. Recently, Dupri was appointed to be President of Virgin Record Urban Music and Island Records Urban Music.
- P. Diddy. P.Diddy stepped into business at an early age of twelvewhen he promoted newspapers. He started his production company Bad Boy Entertainment after leaving a record company in Uptown New York. P. Diddy is also the CEO of Sean John Clothing. "Fortune Magazine" has listed him as one of the richest Americans under 40.
- Tyler Perry. Founder and President of Tyler Perry Company, Perry has experienced extreme poverty before he becomes one of the most successful producers. Perry became famous in 2005, after the release of his production "Diary of a Mad Black Woman." He has then written a book and created a comedy series called "House of Payne."
- Tyra Banks. The host of "America's Next Top Model" is not only a Victoria's Secret supermodel, she is also a successful entrepreneur. In 2003, she started her own company Bankable Production, which also develops "The Tyra Banks Show." She has since then become one of the most influential people in the television production industry.
- Ronald "Slim" Williams. Brother of Bryan Williams, Slim is a co-founder of Cash Records. Like Birdman, Slim is also featured in the TV show "NEWBOs: America's Rising Black Overclass."
- Susan Taylor. As the editorial director of "Essence" magazine, Taylor is an inspiring figure as she is one of the very few successful black businesswoman who started her own company. While promoting "Essence," Taylor is also an avid promoter of improving education in the black community. She is now funding a house-building project in South Africa.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
What Makes Men Attractive to Women
What women want—confidence, a sense of humor and abs.
11 Hot Reality Stars Who Got Naked On Television (PHOTOS)
Reality shows tend to bring out the wildest in people. Just this week, for example, model Cinthia Fernandez (right) appeared on Bailando Por Un Sueno (the Argentine version of Danc ...