10K Training Schedule
A 10K training schedule can get you in shape for your first 10K race. This can be a somewhat challenging distance to run. 10K is actually 6.2 miles, which can sound intimidating to some novice runner. However, it doesn’t have to be as long as you follow the 10K training schedule for the eight weeks leading up to the race.
To do this task, you will need:
- Running shoes
- Writing utensil
- Get out your calendar and mark out each run on your 10K training schedule. This will help keep you on track during the schedule. It will also make it easier to run when you know you have to that day early in the morning, rather than deciding at night.
- Mark one day each week for your distance run. This should be on the same day each week, such as Sunday, and you will gradually work up to around 6.2 miles. Start with three miles and increase by half a mile each week until you reach six miles. During the last week of training, your distance run will be the 10K race.
- Designate one day each week for a two mile run. On this day, you should focus on speed. Each time you do the two mile run, try to get your time a little bit faster. Even improving by a few seconds is impressive. You can also do strength training on this day.
- Add another day to the calendar for a slightly longer run than the speed run. Start with two and one half miles on this day. After three weeks, increase it to three miles. Continue running the three miles for the rest of the training schedule.
- Choose one day each week for strength training. This can be light strength training, but it is very important when running to strengthen your muscles. Include your upper and lower body in this workout.
- Find two days per week in your training schedule to do cross training. Cross training works a different muscle group than running and so is important to include. Do cross training exercises for between 30 and 45 minutes each week. Some examples include biking, swimming and using gym equipment, such as an elliptical machine. The last day of the training schedule is taken for rest.