Whether you’re dressing up for a theme party or just trying to channel a past time period, these 1950s men’s fashion tips will help you achieve an authentic look. The 1950s had a few very popular, iconic looks so read on to pick out which fashion style best fits you.
- The 1950s were conservative times. Men’s fashion in the 1950s didn’t feature a lot of loud patterns or a huge assortment of fabrics. The 1950s was a conservative period in general, but especially when it came to male clothing styles. Men usually only wore cotton or wool fabrics and stuck with only a few solid colors that they rotated into their wardrobe.
- Stick with a classic gray or dark blue suit. If you want to dress up like a dapper 1950s businessman, try not to wear the more contemporary black suit. Gray and dark blues were a bit more popular back then. Ties were also thin rather than thick and usually came in a solid color that matched the suit. Add some cufflinks to the ensemble for a truly classic 1950s men's fashion look.
- Dress down with 1950s style. For a 1950s barbeque or beach day, a good men's fashion tip is to ditch the suit and go for some plaid or khaki shorts and a button down Hawaiian shirt. If it’s a cold day, wear a basic shirt with a cardigan over it and some white or khaki pants.
- Play the rebel. If you’re going for a younger 1950s men's fashion look, wear jeans paired with a plain white shirt and a black leather jacket or red nylon jacket. Make sure to cuff your jeans and wear some converse shoes or black boots to complement them.
- Accessorize with 1950s flair. A man usually wouldn’t leave the house without a hat in the 1950s unless he was dressing like a James Dean-type rebel. And don’t forget the most important 1950s fashion accessory: a drink. For an authentic 1950s drink, treat yourself to a dry martini or a scotch on the rocks. You'll feel like a true 1950s man.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.