Whether you’re dressing up for a theme party or just trying to channel a past time period, these 1950s men’s fashion tips will help you achieve an authentic look. The 1950s had a few very popular, iconic looks so read on to pick out which fashion style best fits you.
- The 1950s were conservative times. Men’s fashion in the 1950s didn’t feature a lot of loud patterns or a huge assortment of fabrics. The 1950s was a conservative period in general, but especially when it came to male clothing styles. Men usually only wore cotton or wool fabrics and stuck with only a few solid colors that they rotated into their wardrobe.
- Stick with a classic gray or dark blue suit. If you want to dress up like a dapper 1950s businessman, try not to wear the more contemporary black suit. Gray and dark blues were a bit more popular back then. Ties were also thin rather than thick and usually came in a solid color that matched the suit. Add some cufflinks to the ensemble for a truly classic 1950s men's fashion look.
- Dress down with 1950s style. For a 1950s barbeque or beach day, a good men's fashion tip is to ditch the suit and go for some plaid or khaki shorts and a button down Hawaiian shirt. If it’s a cold day, wear a basic shirt with a cardigan over it and some white or khaki pants.
- Play the rebel. If you’re going for a younger 1950s men's fashion look, wear jeans paired with a plain white shirt and a black leather jacket or red nylon jacket. Make sure to cuff your jeans and wear some converse shoes or black boots to complement them.
- Accessorize with 1950s flair. A man usually wouldn’t leave the house without a hat in the 1950s unless he was dressing like a James Dean-type rebel. And don’t forget the most important 1950s fashion accessory: a drink. For an authentic 1950s drink, treat yourself to a dry martini or a scotch on the rocks. You'll feel like a true 1950s man.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
What Your Shoes Tell Her About You
How footwear can kick-start your dating game—or kick dirt on your grave.
10 Real-Life Heroes Who Inspired Indiana Jones
Legend has it, these guys are the real MVPs.