5 '80s Fashion Clothing Essentials
Anyone that was at least 10 years old or older in the 1980's remembers the 5 80's fashion clothing essentials. The 80's left a mark on pop culture that will never go away. From the music that we still listen to all the way up to the 5 80's fashion clothing essentials, the 80's were a decade to remember.
- Leg warmers. Leg warmers started out as an accessory to the female exercise outfit, but as the 80's progressed the leg warmer became standard apparel for any day and any occasion. This entry into the list of 5 80's fashion clothing essentials was even seen on men towards the end of the decade. When 1990's and grunge music came around, the leg warmer's days were numbered.
- Member's Only jacket. If you wanted to be considered part of the male "in crowd" in the 1980's, then you needed to have a Member's Only jacket. This member of the list of 5 80's fashion clothing essentials was all about style and being noticed and had very little to do with protecting the wearer from the cold.
- Off-the-shoulder sweatshirts. Exercise was extremely popular in the 1980's and this member of the list of 5 80's fashion clothing essentials started as a part of the female work-out ensemble just like leg warmers. As the 80's went on, women started wearing off-the-shoulder sweatshirts as everyday pieces of apparel. The 1983 hit movie "Flashdance" helped to make the off-the-shoulder sweatshirt a 1980's icon.
- Designer blue jeans. In the 1980's, blue jeans were all the rage. When world-famous designers such as Calvin Klein and Gloria Vanderbilt started to put out designer blue jeans in the early 1980's, the rest of the world was hooked. As the decade wore on other famous designer names such as Sasson, Jordache and Chic started to appear on butts all over the world.
- Spandex pants. Spandex pants became popular as the standard equipment for members of the hair metal bands of the 1980's. After a while, this member of the list of 5 80's fashion clothing essentials started showing up at gyms, school dances and shopping malls all over the country.