5 Adventure Movies Of 2007
The top five adventure movies of 2007 consisted of newly developed fantasy creations, fresh takes on an age-old tale and new additions to some already popular franchises. Adventure movies are always a draw for movie-goer's for most are action-packed, filled with wonder and imagination and let us all delve into the world of make-believe, time and time again.
- "Spider-Man 3." As the top grossing adventure movie of 2007, "Spider-Man 3" stomped its competition for several weeks. It was released to theaters May 4, 2007, starring Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker/Spiderman and Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane Watson. New villains introduced in this third "Spider-Man" installment were James Franco as New Goblin/Harry Osborn, Topher Grace as Venom/Eddie Brock and Thomas Haden Church as The Sandman/Flint Marko. The dark symbiote also plays a key role in "Spider-Man 3" bringing out an edgier, more vengeful side of Peter Parker that he must attempt to either control or destroy to overcome his own demons.
- "National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets." Nicholas Cage is back as treasure hunter and archaeologist, Ben Gates in this second movie of the "National Treasure" series. Released December 21, 2007, this adventure movie takes Ben Gates (Cage) on a journey to uncover not only the assassination plot against Abraham Lincoln, but his own family's involvement in this tragic historical event. Returning costars include Diane Kruger, Justin Bartha and Jon Voight. Academy Award winner Helen Mirren and Academy Award nominee Harvey Keitel also star in "National Treasure 2."
- "Pirates of the Caribbean 3: At World's End." Never has there been a movie franchise created from a theme park ride until Pirates of the Caribbean. Disney was brilliant in creating this franchise series as it has grossed billions worldwide. "Pirates of the Caribbean 3" was released May 25, 2007 and brought back characters such as Captain Barbosa (Geoffrey Rush) from the first Pirates' movie, as well as Will Turner (Orlando Bloom), Elizabeth Swann (Kiera Knightley) and of course, the notorious Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp). In "Pirates 3", Sparrow tries to outwit Davey Jones and avoid being banished to his "locker" beneath the seas. This 2007 adventure movie features Depp's superb wit as Sparrow, in addition to spectacular battles and imagery.
- "Beowulf." An intriguing tale inspired by an Old English poem, "Beowulf" certainly captivated audiences worldwide. This adventure movie of 2007 was released on November 16 and featured a CGI Ray Winestone as the lead character Beowulf, as well as his nemesis Grendel, played by Crispin Glover ("Back to the Future") and Angelina Jolie as Grendel's mother. This movie didn't do as well at the box-office as one might hope, but managed to hold its own due to the cast and storyline when it was released on DVD in 2008.
- "The Golden Compass." This 2007 fantasy adventure movie was released on December 7th and starred Nicole Kidman ("The Others"), Daniel Craig (James Bond) and Sam Elliott ("Tombstone"). The story is set in a parallel world where children are vanishing, bears can talk and people's souls change into different animals. A young girl's friend disappears and she sets off to find him, ending up trying to save both worlds from impending doom.