5 Australia Day Food Recipes
These 5 Australia day food recipes will create an authentic, and delicious, meal. The recipes below are traditional Australian recipes, and many of them are quite simple to put together.
To make cheese fingers, you will need:
- 1 lb. cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 1 lb. bacon
- Australia day cheese fingers. Finely chop bacon.
- Beat egg.
- Combine egg, cheese and bacon in bowl and mix.
- Heat pan on stovetop on high heat.
- Spread mixture evenly in pan.
- Cook the Aussie cheese fingers until crisp.
- Cut into equal length slices. Serve.
To make Aussie Tarts, you will need:
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 5 tsp. vegemite
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp. water
- 1 container plain cream cheese
- 4 tbsp. grate parmesan
- 1 tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 1/2 package spinach leaves
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- Aussie tarts. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine butter, 3 tsp. vegemite and plain flour. Mixture will be crumbly
- Add 1 egg and water and mix until smooth.
- Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Remove dough, roll flat on counter. Cut even sized round circles, using the edge of a cup. Place on baking sheet.
- Combine the cream cheese, 2 eggs and 2 tsp. vegemite in bowl, mix thoroughly.
- Add parsley, parmesan cheese, nutmeg and spinach. Mix until combined.
- Top pastry circles with cream cheese mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
To make Aussie potato pies, you will need:
- 1 lb. potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 pre-made sheets of pie dough
- Aussie potato pies. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Boil potatoes until easily pierced by fork. Mash potatoes.
- Place evenly sized circles of pie dough on baking sheet. A muffin pan will also work well.
- Saute onion and beef in olive oil.
- Top the dough with beef mixture. Add potatoes on top of beef mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Serve the Australian food while warm.
To make lamb kabobs, you will need:
- 2 lbs. lamb, chopped in evenly sized cubes
- 2 tbsp. garlic, minced
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- Metal kabob skewers
- Lamb kabobs. Marinate lamb in garlic, lemon juice and paprika overnight.
- Preheat grill to high. If you do not have a grill, use a fry pan heated over high heat. You may need to rub olive oil on the pan to prevent the lamb from sticking.
- Place equal numbers of lamb on each kabob.
- Grill the Australian lamb kabob for two to three minutes per side. Lamb should not be pink inside when done.
To make Australian zucchini, you will need:
- 1 large zucchini, grated
- 1/2 lb. bacon, cooked crisp
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- Australian zucchini. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease inside of glass baking pan.
- Mix all ingredients in bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Bake mixture in oven for 40 minutes, or until top is browned.
- Serve the Australian side dish while still warm.