5 Authentic Irish St. Patricks Day Recipes
Start off St. Patrick’s Day with these 5 authentic Irish St. Patrick's Day recipes. These authentic recipes are traditional food for festive St. Patrick’s Day celebrations. Keeping with tradition, these dishes are high in potassium and very filling.
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups cabbage, cooked and chopped fine
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- Sautéed onions
- Boil the potatoes and mash them as soon as they are soft.
- Place all of the ingredients in a large pan (except the cabbage) and cook over low heat while blending them together.
- Turn the heat to medium and add the chopped cabbage.
Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 2 lbs. corned beef brisket
- 1 small cabbage
- Onions (optional)
- Place meat in a large kettle with tight-fitting cover.
- Add enough cold water to cover meat completely. Bring slowly to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for three to four hours, adding one medium sized cabbage (cut into sixths) about twenty minutes before end of cooking time.
- Serve with horseradish or mustard.
Basic Irish Soda Bread with Cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Beat eggs in a bowl and set aside. Place the Parmesan cheese into a shallow bowl.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, salt and baking soda until combined. Adding milk until the mixture forms a soft dough. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured work surface and knead several times until the dough comes together.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle about half-inch thick and cut into two-by-three-inch squares. Bake about ten minutes.
St. Patrick's Day Cornish Pastries
- 2 uncooked pie pastry
- 1 cup pre-cooked diced carrots
- 1 cup pre-cooked diced potatoes
- 1 cup pre-cooked diced onions
- 1 cup meat (this can be any leftover meat, but finely minced roast beef is best)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Lay out pie shells and cut them in half.
- On each half place one-fourth cup of each ingredient.
- Brush edges with egg and fold pastry over, forming a pie slice shape. Press edges with fork or fold over in a creative manner.
- Bake at 350 degrees for twenty minutes.
St. Patrick's Day Green Beer
- Green food coloring
- Swizzle stick
- Chilled beer mug
- Pour beer into mug, creating the smallest head possible. Lighter beers are excellent, as the color shows up better in them.
- Add four drops of green food coloring.
- Stir slowly with swizzle stick to prevent foaming over of beer.