Want to learn about five backcountry skiing Mammoth tips? Mammoth Lakes, California is a great place for backcountry skiing. The whole of the Inyo National Forest, John Muir Wilderness and Yosemite National Forests have tons of trails. There are areas that are more used than others, and some of the more daring make their own way. Backcountry skiing in Mammoth can be dangerous, so read the following tips to stay safe.
Backcountry Skiing Tips
- Go With Others: There is a backcountry ski patrol assigned to Mammoth and the surrounding areas, but if there is an emergency, it could be a long time before a person is found, and that could mean death. Always ski with a partner or two in the backcountry. Aside from possible injuries from the sport, there are also wild animals and avalanches to worry about.
- Get a Backcountry Permit: A permit will let the right people know who is going where in the backcountry, and if a person doesn't check in or is gone for longer than expected, than a rescue team will be sent out. Going without a permit isn't illegal, it's just ill advised, especially if it is going to be an overnight trip.
- Dress Properly: Layer up for the cold weather. A bottom layer is needed to wick away moisture from sweat, a middle layer is needed for warmth, and a top layer is needed for rain, snow or windy conditions. Always pack an extra pair of socks in case the first pair gets wet. Wet feet can be dangerous in the colder weather.
- Be Prepared to Hike: This might be a strange tip, but backcountry skiers sometimes find themselves unable to cross, or traverse, an area for short or long distances. There can be downed trees, flooding or large boulders blocking a path. Either bring snowshoes attached to a backpack, or a pair of waterproof hiking boots just in case.
- Use the Right Gear: There are different types of skis for the different types of backcountry skiing. Be prepared by having the right pair and taking climbing skins for the skis to be able to go uphill easier. Also make sure to pack water, food and an emergency kit along with the extra ski gear in a waterproof pack. Pack light, but smart.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.