If you’re looking for 5 bands like Death Cab for Cutie, then you’re going to have some trouble. Death Cab for Cutie has a rather distinct style and sound, which nobody else comes close to matching. With that said, some groups have a similar style or capture some essence of Death Cab, and here are they are:
- The Postal Service. If you’ve never listened to The Postal Service before, you might think that lead singer sounds a lot like the lead singer of Death Cab for Cutie. Well, that’s because they are the same. The Postal Service is an electronica project headed by Death Cab for Cutie’s lead singer, Ben Gibbard. Naturally, they sound quite similar.
- Owl City. Adam Young is the only member of Owl City, and his style is clearly derived from The Postal Service. It’s so similar to the The Postal Service, many people criticize him for it, but “Fireflies” was the most ridiculously popular song in the Summer of 2009. If you turned on the radio, there must have been an 85% chance you would hear it.
- The Shins. This is probably the most similar band to Death Cab for Cutie that actually doesn’t have Ben Gibbard as member. The Shins is an amazing band. If you’ve seen “Garden State,” then you’ve probably heard their music. They had some stand out tracks in that movie, and they actually got a lot of fans because of it.
- MGMT. This band is pretty amazing. They’re similar to Death Cab for Cutie in lyrical tone and style, but they differ greatly in music. MGMT is a little more electronic and upbeat musically, but MGMT’s albums are actually real diverse. There aren’t many tracks that sound like others.
- Spoon. If you’ve heard Spoon, it was probably the song, “I Turn My Camera On.” It’s easily the most popular song by the group, and it has one slick beat. Spoon doesn’t necessarily have a specific style or sound, but there’s a good chance that if you like Death Cab for Cutie, you’ll like Spoon.
Those are five bands like Death Cab for Cutie. Death Cab is a difficult band to compare to anyone, but you’ll probably like all these groups if you get down on Death Cab.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.