Though there are more than 5 benefits of lysine supplements, this list will cover the most important and vital benefits of lysine supplements. Lysine is an "essential" amino acid, meaning that it is needed by the body to complete certain functions, but not actually produced within the body itself.
- Lysine supplements help with collagen formation. This is important since collagen is one of the most abundant protein in bones, cartilage, and other body materials. Additional benefits of lysine supplements related to this mean calcium absorption and prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.
- They help the immune system. Benefits of lysine supplements in this regard include the production of antibodies. Hormone and enzyme production is also benefited by lysine supplements.
- Lysine helps break down food. As the precursor to another amino acid, l-carnetine, Lysine is needed for conversion of food into energy. Other benefits of lysine supplements in this regard include lowered LDL and triglyceride levels.
- Lysine helps with cold sores. One of the most often talked about benefits of lysine supplements are their effectiveness in combating the herpes virus. When used alongside Vitamin C, lysine supplements can actually prevent herpes breakouts before they occur in those carrying the virus.
- Lysine supplements prevent symptoms of lysine deficiency. These symptoms, which should be avoided if possible, include hair loss, loss of energy and appetite, and bloodshot eyes. Extreme cases can result in anemia and reproductive disorders; one of the main benefits of lysine supplements is to prevent all of these from occurring.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Types of Tattoos Worth the Newfound Health Risks
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.