Whether you already have a regular running routine or you’ve been meaning to start one, consider these 5 benefits of running in the morning. While running is widely considered to be one of the best ways lose weight and stay healthy, very few people talk about when to do it. Here are five ways in which running in the morning can benefit you:
- Weight-loss: One of the primary reasons regular runners pound the pavement is to burn calories and to lose weight. Some experts, however, believe that running on an empty stomach in the morning burns more calories than any other time of the day. This has to do with two things: if your body’s metabolism gets turned on early, it keeps going longer, thus burning off more fat. Secondly, if you run on an empty stomach, your body is forced to use the energy that is most available to it at the time, which on an empty stomach is your body’s store of fat. Make running your first activity of the day if you want to amp up those weight-loss benefits.
- Peace of mind: Most runners will agree that running helps clear the mind and get those creative juices flowing. Problems are solved and ideas are born as the road glides along under your feet. This probably has to do with the release of hormones called endorphins, which have a peaceful, calming, and refreshing effect on your mind and body. So why not kick in those powerful endorphins early in the day? If you know you’re going to have a rough day ahead of you, a good way to preemptively combat those stresses is to run in the morning. Try it out; you might just find that your work day seems a lot less stressful than it usually is.
- No excuses: By running in the morning, all of the typical excuses for not exercising (e.g., a lack of time, being too tired after work, or missing happy hour with your buddies) can be put to rest. Now those after-work hours can be used to take care of errands or loaf on your sofa, completely guilt-free. Getting your exercise done first thing in the morning also gives you that jump start you need to keep moving throughout the day, which helps rid you of excuses for other important tasks that you would normally not feel like doing.
- Less pollution: Among the many benefits of running in the morning is getting out on the road before the cars and busses beat you to it. The exhaust left behind from vehicles can increase the risk of heart disease and cancer, so slip on your jogging shoes in the early morning if you want to breathe in the cleanest air possible.
- Go farther: There is no doubt about it; the air is not only cleaner, but also much cooler before the sun’s rays have begun to bake the road under your feet. Running in the morning is the best way to avoid hot weather, heat stroke, and stifling humidity. Runners that exercise in a cool climate can often run longer and go farther than those who work out in the heat.
Now set your alarm clocks tonight because these benefits of running in the morning are worth waking up early for.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.