5 Benefits Of Running
What are 5 benefits of running? While it may not sound like the most desirable thing to do at five in the morning before work or in the evening after a long day, there are many good reasons to lace up a pair of sneakers and go for a run. Find out about some of the physical and psychological benefits of running.
- Burn calories and lose weight. Many people start running in the first place for this benefit. The average person can burn one thousand calories for one hour of running. This is a great way to lose pounds quickly and efficiently, and to maintain a healthy weight.
- Improve lung function. One of the often overlooked benefits of running is respiratory health. Running strengthens the lungs, allowing for more oxygen to enter the body with each breath. As simple as this sounds this health benefit is a cornerstone of optimal well-being. It allows for more oxygen rich blood to circulate through the body, increases energy, and improves healing.
- Running is good for the heart. This is a wonderful benefit for Americans, who face a nationwide epidemic of heart disease. Partaking in a regular physical activity such as a 30 minute run three times a week will improve circulation, strengthen the heart, and reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Reduce stress. This is one of the most important of the five benefits of running. Stress can affect our physical well-being and can make getting through our daily lives difficult, rather than the enjoyable experience that it should be. Going for a run, breathing the fresh air, invigorating the body, and giving yourself time to process thoughts and letting them drift away is tremendously beneficial. Running, especially if you push yourself, stimulates the production of endorphins. These brain chemicals bring about a state of peace and relaxation.
- Improving self-confidence. Yes, running makes you feel good about yourself. Giving yourself a challenge and accomplishing it, even if it is a personal challenge for your own well-being, will improve the way you perceive yourself. This benefit of running will reverberate through your entire life. Once you reach your goals, you can make even greater ones. Eventually you will find yourself signing up for your first marathon.
If weight is a problem, you will lose it. If you are not already in great shape, you will be. If stress and anxiety are wearing you down, it will bring you incredible relief. If you need a personal pat on the back, you will deserve it. These five benefits of running are well worth taking up the sport or stepping further into the runner's world.