5 Best 2008 Christmas Songs
Five best 2008 Christmas songs include a few that go on year after year as classics. There are many beloved holiday tunes that dance through our heads each Christmas season, and that is a good thing when they bring back happy memories of family and friend events. It is difficult to bring the list down to only five from the numerous special songs that exist and appear on our radios, televisions, and sometimes in movies.
- "I'll Be Home For Christmas" was sung by Josh Groban in his album Noel. His version is very poignant and unusual because he incorporated Christmas greetings and wishes from soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq as well as voice clips of families of some of those serving in the Armed Forces since they all actually will be home for Christmas only in their dreams.
- "Silent Night" performed by Taylor Swift is a different experience because adds her guitar to her sweet voice. Her album, Sounds of the Season: The Taylor Swift Holiday Collection continues as she sings other Christmas carols and holiday hits with a country pop slant.
- "Do You Hear What I Hear?" is a beautiful rendition by Carrie Underwood of the classic Bing Crosby version. The song was written as a peace plea during the Cuban Missile Crisis by then married couple Noel Regney and Gloria Shayne Baker. It has been sung by hundreds of artists and has sold millions of copies.
- "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" by Jessica Simpson is sung in a vampy style. Her Rejoice: The Christmas Album was named for her grandmother and includes such family contributions as her sister Ashlee singing "The Little Drummer Boy." It is noted that her father was formerly a youth minister, so Jessica was brought up around religion and the singing of Christmas songs.
- Although "Christmas Cookies" was first performed by George Strait on his album A Country Christmas 1999, this fun song was so popular that it was still listed as a favorite in 2008. It is unusual to have a song about Christmas treats, and George does not make it sound "hokey." There are also good instrumentals in this tune.