From cries for love to smirking "screw you"s, the 5 best 2009 breakup songs are an eclectic mix of pop songs. Artists as diverse as American Idol Daughtry and pop-punkers the All-American Rejects were the soundtrack to many a breakup in 2009.
- "Please Don’t Leave Me” At the time she recorded this song, Pennsylvania pop princess Pink was splitsville with her motocross star husband Corey Hart, and it shows. Pink’s pleading chorus was sharp and effective and managed to sound sad without coming off as sappy, making it one of the best 2009 breakup songs.
- “Gives You Hell” This song stripped the punk from the All-American Rejects’ previous pop-punk bread-and-butter and added an earworm chorus that anthemically shouted “When you see my face, hope it gives you hell.” Seeing a former pop-punk singer achieve pop star status with one of the best breakup songs of 2009 must have given her hell.
- “Rehab” Rihanna owned 2008 and 2009, and this song was one of the best breakup songs of 2009. The eighth single from her album “Good Girl Gone Bad” finds Rihanna saying it straight about a sick relationship: “I gotta check into rehab, cause baby you’re my disease.”
- “Heartless” Kanye West’s newfound singing didn’t stop with “Love Lockdown.” This January 2009 digitally-released single found "The College Dropout" singing about “a woman so heartless,” complete with heavy doses of vocoding on his voice. It’s truly a breakup song for the '00s and one of the best breakup songs of 2009.
- “No Surprise” Who would have thought a song co-written by an American Idol and the dude from Nickelback could be so catchy and so to the point? This was one of the best breakup songs of 2009, with lyrics like “It’s no surprise I won’t be here tomorrow, I can’t believe that I stayed 'til today.”