These 5 best antihistamines for itching will have you on the road to recovery in no time. Itching is one of the most annoying symptoms a person can deal with. Choosing the correct antihistamine is sometimes a hit or miss situation.
- Diphenhydramine This over the counter medication provides fast relief for itching, but side effects can include drowsiness. Some diphenhydramine products can be purchased in a non-drowsy formula if the original makes you too tired to complete your daily tasks. Diphenhydramine works by attaching to cell receptors without stimulating the cells; this helps prevent the sensation of itching.
- Naphazoline Hydrochloride Naphazoline hydrochloride can be found in antihistamine products dealing with the eyes. If you are experiencing itchy eye symptoms you can obtain this product over the counter. It works by vasoconstriction on the alpha-adrenergic receptors reducing itching, redness and irritation.
- Tripelennamine Hydrochloride Trpelennamin hydrochloride is used to offer relief of itching in the same way diphenhydramine works. Tripelennamin hydrochloride is taken in oral form.
- Hydroxyzine Hydroxyzine is only available with a prescription. If your itching is severe and over the counter antihistamine medications are not relieving your symptoms, you may be prescribed hydroxyzine. Hydroxyzine works by reducing the normal natural chemical histamine in the body.
- Chlorpheniramine If you are experiencing itchiness of the throat or nose, chlorpheniramine is a great option. Like most antihistamines, chlorpheniramine works by blocking histamine actions. Chlorpheniramine is sold as an over the counter medication.
The above 5 best antihistamines for itching are listed in their generic name form. These medications can be purchased under many trademarked names in any local store.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …