5 Best Classic Hollywood Kid Movie Stars
There are so many choices when it comes to picking the 5 best classic Hollywood kid movie stars. The golden days of Hollywood were full of child stars that kept America thrilled and entertained as they performed their magic up on the silver screen. While there may have been some kid movie stars more famous than those on this list, there are few that could beat them in raw talent.
- Shirley Temple has got to be the most famous kid movie star of all time. She started acting at the tender age of three, and by the time she reached puberty had starred in dozens of films, with names like "Bright Eyes" and "Curly Top." Her dimpled smile and trademark blonde curls helped made her the top box office draw four years in a row.
- Jackie Coogan had his first movie role when he was still an infant, and became famous performing with Charlie Chaplin in the movie, "The Little Tramp." His success was marred by parents who spent nearly all his earnings before he reached adulthood, but he was able to have later success as an adult by taking on the role of lovable but kooky Uncle Fester on TV's "The Addams Family."
- Mickey Rooney has had one of the longest careers in show business, spanning well over 80 years now. Perhaps best known for the Andy Hardy movie series and his partnership with Judy Garland, this kid movie star is still acting and was seen in the movie "Night at the Museum."
- Jackie Cooper had his first big break when he was cast as one of the members of Hal Roach's "Our Gang," also known as "The Little Rascals." He later moved into feature films and had a very successful career in the motion pictures. As an adult, this kid movie star became famous for taking on the role of Perry White, editor of the "Daily Planet" on the "Superman" movie series with Christopher Reeve, and he also worked behind the scenes as a producer and director on shows and films like "The White Shadow."
- Roddy McDowell is probably best know for his role as Cornelius in the "Planet of the Apes" film series, but he was actually very successful kid movie star. He frequently starred alongside Elizabeth Taylor, and was particularly effective in animal buddy movies like "My Friend Flicka" and "Lassie Come Home."
The 5 best classic kid movie stars of Hollywood's golden age often seem to be in a completely different class from most of the child actors we see today. Were they more talented, or is it just a matter of perspective that makes them seem that way? Only time will tell if the current crop of kid stars will have the same staying power as the best classic kid movie stars.