When talking about the 5 best comedy movies ever list we are talking about a list of comedies that didn't just make us laugh, but laugh until we cried. Of course the best comedies of all time aren't just ridiculous slapstick but rather movies that actually have character development and while these characters might be a bit hapless, they aren't so mind numbingly stupid that we can't relate and like them quite a bit. That is why the following five movies made our list.
- "Ghostbusters" Yes, Ghostbusters is the best comedy movie ever made. Not only was the concept of a group of scientists deciding they were going to go into the paranormal extermination business original but the movie pulled together a cast of outstanding comedians at the top of their game. There are so many lines that are quoted still today, almost 30 years after its release.
- "Airplane!" Another movie that still gets quoted on a regular basis, at least in our offices. A comedic take on the rash of disaster movies that plagued the 1970's this was better than all of them put together merely because of the ridiculous site gags and monotone delivery of so many outrageous one-liners such as "I speak Jive," "don't call me Shirley" and "looks like I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue."
- "The Big Lebowski" We still think this movie is underrated as not many lists have it that high as far as best comedies ever. Jeff Bridges is the quintessential hapless loser who just wants to live his life the way he wants and be left alone. Sadly, an identity mixup leads to hilarious hijinks. We still think it was the best work Bridges has ever done.
- "Blazing Saddles" When someone mentions ribald comedy this movie always pops up in our heads first. Mel Brooks has had the magic touch when it comes to great comedy movies and this flick about a black sheriff of a town during a time when that was ridiculous unheard of is one of the best of the best. Cleavon Little doesn't get enough mention for just how hilarious he is in this movie.
- "National Lampoon's Animal House" There was about a 10 year period where National Lampoon's name was attached to some truly great comedies. Sadly they seem to have turned solely to T&A in the 21st century. Regardless, Animal House is one of the best movies of this genre thanks in large part to an ensemble cast that delivered great line after great line. Of course this movie about life in wild fraternity house might have also delivered one of the single greatest quotes in cinema history. "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!?"
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.