5 Best Costa Rica Surf Spots
It doesn't matter when you are looking to surf if you want to check out one of the five best Costa Rica surfing spots since surfing in Costa Rica is a year round sport. The Pacific side of the country is better in the winter, during the rainy season, and the Caribbean has the better surfing in the summer. You won't be alone if you decide to take a trip to Costa Rica, it has become one of the most popular surfing areas in the world.
- Playa Naranjo. Located on the North Pacific coast, this wave is also known as Witches Rock. This is probably the best place to surf in Costa Rica during the winter since it has strong off shore winds from December to March. If you are going to spend any time here you will need to camp. There are no hotels near the area.
- Playa Negra. Playa Negra has one of the best breaks in Costa Rica. This is also on the North Pacific Coast and is known for having very fast waves.
- Boca Baranca. Boca Baranca is easily accessed with many places near the beach to stay. This surf spot has some of the best waves that you will find in the country. It is also known for being the longest wave in the country.
- Playa Dominical. Playa Dominical is on the South Pacific Coast and has probably the most consistent surfing in Costa Rica. It almost always has a wave that is good to ride. During high tide the waves are bigger and stronger. During mid-tide the waves tend to be faster. It is also less crowded during mid-tide.
- Jaco. Jaco is located on the Central Pacific Coast. It is a well known surfing area with many surf shops and is also close to many other surfing areas. Jaco has a great beach break and is a good choice for all levels of surfers.