Owning one of the five best deep sea fishing reels can give you that extra power you will need while fishing in saltwater. You never know what you are going to catch in the deep blue, so it pays to be prepared.
- Shimano SHMTLD25 Lever Drag Reel. Shimano has designed the Lever Drag Reel for the perfect amount of drag and free spooling when you have a big one on the line. Free spooling helps to prevent accidental break-offs when a big one is dancing on top of the water, and the right amount of drag keeps him from getting too far away when diving deep to get away from you
- Penn Special Senator. With a line capacity of 375 yards, the Senator is great for both casting and trolling. This fishing reel has a high-speed retrieval that will help you move your bait at lightning speed, and the ball bearings are made of stainless steel to avoid saltwater corrosion.
- Accurate 2 Speed Boss Extreme BX2 Reel. Deep sea fishing reels are notorious for being big and bulky. This is not the case with the BX2. It is compact, and yet strong enough to land most big game fish you will encounter. It has a twin drag system for keeping the big ones on the line. Even in this small package, the gear shaft is large enough to provide plenty of torque. Even if you still use the old bulky standbys, this is a good one to have aboard for when you get tired of handling them.
- Fin-Nor Offshore Levelwind OFL30 Reel. The OFL30 has a 4.3:1 gear ratio that offers a lot of power for fighting big fish. It will handle braided or mono line. The Levelwind features five extra-large stainless steel ball bearings for smooth casting. It might be the perfect deep sea fishing reel for trolling.
- Okuma Catalina OKMCT55C Casting Reel. This one has an anodized aluminum frame for strength and corrosion protection. Most anglers will be familiar with the stainless steel star drag system, which makes setting the drag in a hurry easy. The unique feature of this fishing reel is the extra large gearbox. It is strategically positioned at such an angle as to keep it out of the way while you are reeling in line.