5 Best Deer Hunting Rifles
There have been many arguments and debates over which companies manufactures the 5 best deer hunting rifles and which is the best caliber to choose for a deer hunting rifle. With over 27 varieties of calibers available, and numerous manufacturers making several models of the same caliber, finding the 5 best deer hunting rifles is a matter of terrain to be hunted in, size of the hunter and mostly personal choice.
Short range rifles are the best choice for shooting deer less than 200 feet away. These provide plenty of knock down power and are slightly smaller in scale than the heavier weight of the long range rifles. Long range rifles are better for shots that are over 200 yards and may even be accurate up to 300 yards away. Long range deer hunting rifles are not ultra-long range rifles that are intended to be fired from a resting position.
Five calibers to consider when purchasing your deer hunting rifle are:
- Short Range: .243 Winchester is a great short range caliber to choose for a rifle for deer hunting in brushy terrain. The .243 has enough firepower to make the kill without destroying part of the meat.
- Short Range: .308 Winchester is another good short range rifle for deer hunting, providing accuracy with plenty of punch.
- Mid Range: .257 Roberts is a good midrange caliber for shooting in bushy terrain.
- Long Range: .270 is a popular long action caliber deer hunting rifle.
- Long Range: 30-06 is a long action caliber for shooting across open terrain. It packs a powerful punch and has decent recoil as well.
Manufacturers to consider are Browning, Kimber, Marlin, Remington, Ruger, and Weatherby. When you have selected the caliber that will best fit your hunting terrain, then check out the manufacturers to see who will provide you with the best deer hunting rifle for your personal preferences.