The 5 best Don Draper quotes are difficult to pare down from his great insights and on-liners over the course of “Mad Men’s” history. Don is the classic case of a man other men want to be, and women want to be with, despite his philandering, strained relations with most everyone around him and functional alcoholism.
- “On a bed made of money.” This is Don’s response to a hippie who is nonplussed to find that Don works in advertising and asks Don how he can sleep at night. Don’s line of work is at odds with the hippie’s bohemian sensitivities and Don lets him know that he couldn’t care less. This line, occurring in the episode “Babylon” in season one, is certainly one of the 5 best Don Draper quotes.
- “Believe me, Henry, everyone thinks this is temporary.” Don says this line, one of the 5 best Don Draper quotes, in the episode “Public Relations” in season four. His ex-wife Betty is married to a man named Henry Francis and living in Don’s house. Don feels their relationship is on a flimsy foundation, and his comment to Henry, who has just said, “Don, it’s temporary,” in regards to their living in his house, shows his disdain.
- “Advertising is based on one thing: happiness. And do you know what happiness is? Happiness is the smell of a new car. It's freedom from fear. It's a billboard on the side of a road that screams with reassurance that whatever you're doing is OK.” This sums up Don’s beliefs toward advertising, the advertising industry write large, and gets at the psychology behind why people respond to advertising the way they do. Occurring in the very first episode, this quote, one of the 5 best Don Draper quotes, sets a theme for the show.
- “You'll realize in your private life that at a certain point seduction is over and force is actually being requested.” This line, one of the 5 best Don Draper quotes, is not referring to rape, as it may sound. Rather, Don who certainly understands how to bed a woman, is simply pointing out that some women like to be dominated and to have a man simply just have his way with her. Don says this in “The Hobo Code.”
- “Yeah, I eat a lot of apples.” Don says this line, one of the 5 best Don Draper quotes, to a doctor in response to the doctor’s comment that Don has not had a physical in some time. Though Don appears fit, his lifestyle is very unhealthy, and this dismissive comment seems to sum up his devil may care attitude toward his overall health.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Types of Tattoos Worth the Newfound Health Risks
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.