If you’re a fan of action films, here are the 5 best English action movies of 2010. Although 2009 was a banner year for British films, 2010 was nothing to snigger at. The best Brit-flicks of the year were the action-packed historical epics. One superhero satire also hit the big screen in 2010.
- “Black Death.” “Black Death” tops the list of best English action movies in 2010. The action-adventure film and religious drama is set in medieval England, when the country was under the shadow of the Black Death. Sean Bean stars as a knight who leads a band of mercenaries on a quest to hunt down a necromancer who is rumored to bring back the dead.
- “Centurion.” “Centurion” is another great English action film. The movie recounts the ill-fated Ninth Legion (a Roman legion) on their march to Caledonia (Scotland) to wipe out a Celtic tribe called the Picts. Michael Fassbender, Dominic West, and Olga Kurylenko star in this epic adventure.
- “Robin Hood.” “Robin Hood” is a 2010 British-American action-adventure starring Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett. It’s a big-budget retelling of the legendary Robin Hood, the heroic outlaw in English folklore. The title role belongs to Crowe, with Blanchett in the role of Lady Marion.
- “Solomon Kane.” “Solomon Kane” is a fantasy action film based on a pulp magazine character. Released the last week of 2009, it hit the screens in 2010. The plot involves a man who ends his life as a privateer to become a puritan avenger. The movie introduces the Kane character, played by James Purefoy, and is intended to be the first installment in a film trilogy.
- “Kick-Ass.” Ending the list of five best English action movies of 2010 is “Kick-Ass,” a superhero film based on a comic book story. The satirical British action-comedy premiered in the United Kingdom in March 2010. Brad Pitt co-produced the film, which stars Aaron Johnson, Nicolas Cage, and Chloe Grace Moretz.
We preview the year's futuristic films and rate them for plausibility. (Mila Kunis, mankind's fate rests in your hands.)
With the royal wedding behind us--and Pippa Middleton's behind constantly in front of us--it seems the Brits are all ove ...
You can go to Telluride and Jackson Hole and Aspen only so many times before you start to think that maybe there’s got t ...