5 Best Erectile Dysfunction Treatments
Erectile dysfunction also known as impotence effects many men, but these 5 best erectile dysfunction treatments will help you find the solution that is right for you. Remember to always seek medical advice before beginning any treatment option. Discuss with your doctor all of the treatment options available to you so that you can narrow down your best solution.
- Medication– There are several prescription medications on the market now such as Viagra, knows as phosphodiesterase inhibitors, all work in pretty much the same way and offer similar side effects as well. They work by relaxing the smooth muscle. Besides these prescription pills, there are also penile injection therapies for those that cannot take the pills. One of these solutions is a drug known as alprostadil which can be injected at the base of the penis.
- Penile Implants– Small implants that are rods or inflatable devices that can be manipulated or inflated to create an erection. This option has an 80 to 100 percent success rate and is recommended for patients who either can’t take the medication option or have found them ineffective.
- Surgical – This is an option used if it is determined the patient has vascular blockages caused by injury to the pelvic region. With this situation vascular surgery may be the best solution to correct erectile dysfunction. The surgical option is a penile bypass surgery also known as venous ligation. Other surgical options include a penile prosthesis, arterial revascularization and venous leak surgery. Normally surgical options are only considered after other methods have proved ineffective.
- Mechanical - This option can be used as a standalone treatment or in conjunction with prescription medication such as Viagra. The most common mechanical therapy is the use of a vacuum device also referred to as a penis pump. There are many such devices on the market and your doctor may be able to suggest one that will work best for you.
- Counseling – Psychological counseling has been shown to be successful in combating any mental aspects that may be affecting your erectile dysfunction. Sometimes mental triggers and situations can be the leading cause of this condition. By addressing these issues and finding proactive solutions you can be on the right path for good mental health as well as good sexual health.