Female tattoo artists are becoming more common than ever before, and we've compiled a list of the 5 best female tattoo artists in the U.S. Some of the listed ladies have been around for a few years, and some are not well-known. Each of these female tattoo artists brings their own unique style to the art of tattooing, as well as their individual mind-blowing artwork that can be seen on bodies from around the world.
- Kat Von D. The most famous female tattoo artist is probably Kat Von D. Kat has her own TV reality show called "LA Ink", and she began tattooing professionally at the tender age of sixteen. Her first professional tattooing gig was at Sin City Tattoo near her hometown neighborhood of Inland Empire, California. Kat is not only a phenomenal tattoo artist; her free-hand drawings are incredible as well. Kat's artwork is displayed in her shop at High Voltage in Hollywood, California, and she also showcases many of her best tattoos and drawings on her website. Kat Von D, High Voltage Tattoo, 1259 N. La Brea Ave., West Hollywood, CA 90038, (323) 969-9820, katvond.net and highvoltagetattoo.com.
- Pat Fish. Located in Santa Barbara, California, is another of the five best female tattoo artists, Pat Fish. She and her work have been featured in many tattooing magazines, at conventions, documentaries and she's a featured artist with the National Tattoo Association. Pat is of Celtic and Irish descent, and her work showcases her Celtic heritage, as well as her interpretations of Celtic and Pictish art. Pat was initially guided and mentored by Irish tattoo artist, Cliff Raven, and this helped mold her into the woman of ink she is today. Pat Fish, Tattoo Santa Barbara, 318 State Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101, 805-962-7552, luckyfish.com.
- Kate Hellenbrand. World-renowned tattoo artist Kate Hellenbrand began tattooing as early as 1972 in California. She's the owner and founder of her current shop, Shanghai Kate's Tattoos in Buffalo, New York, but has also managed and owned a variety of shops in California, Utah, Hawaii and Pennsylvania. Kate studied her craft in Los Angeles and has been fortunate enough to work with people like Sailor Jerry Collins, Ed Hardy and Jack Rudy. "Sailor Jerry" saw the talent in Kate early on and gave her recognition by selecting her as a council member for the first ever tattoo convention in Hawaii in 1972. Being one of the best five female tattoo artists in the world, Kate's work has been recognized in major tattoo magazines, several TV and talk shows, and international tattoo conventions. Kate is also a writer for "Tattoo Planet", "Skin and Ink" and "International Tattoo Art" magazines. Kate Hellenbrand, Shanghai Kate's, 82 Elmwood Ave., Buffalo, NY 14201, 716-310-2529, shanghaikates.com.
- Jen Beirola. Beginning her career in 2000 while still in the airforce, Jen Beirola is an award winning female tattoo artist. Jen currently owns Grinn and Barrett, an Omaha based tattoo shop named "Best Tattoo Studio" of 2009. Her work is featured in various magazines like "Tattoo Review", "International Skin Shots", Tattoo Revival", "Savage" and many more national, international and local publications. Jen's work is a mix of detailed portrait pieces, vibrant colors, and realistic photo tattoo's in black and white, as well as creative twists on doing cover-up tattoos. Jen Beirola, Grinn and Barrett, 5002 Center Street, Omaha, NE 68106, (402) 553-7714, omahatattoo.com.
- Margaret Moose. A fine arts and anthropology major, Margaret Moose began her tattooing career as an apprentice of Randy Gardner. Margaret is an amazing female tattoo artist, not only because of her talent in the tattooing world, but for her oil paintings as well. Margaret has worked in a variety of different shops throughout her career including Honolulu's Skin Deep along side of some of the greats like Trevor Marshall and Mike Brown. Margaret's current shop is Studio 258 in Hickory, North Carolina. Both of her daughters, Rebecca and Virginia, have their mom's wonderful tattooing talents and work in the shop with her. Margaret Moose, Studio 258 Tattoo and Gallery, 258 1st Ave. NW, Hickory, NC 28601, 828-304-1192, moosetattoo.net and studio258.net.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
13 Pro Wrestling Tales Too Crazy to be True—But They Are!
Because the gnarliest stuff happens when the cameras are off.