Looking for the 5 best fishing reels for you? How experienced you are, the kind of fish you wish to catch, and the type of fishing you enjoy most will affect the type of fishing reel you should choose. Here are five of the best fishing reels for beginners, experienced spinning reel fishermen, rough saltwater enthusiast, top casting and large catch sweet-water fishermen.
- Abu Garcia Abumatic 476-C. For beginners, the Abu Garcia Abumatic is an affordable spincasting reel that is easy to master, with a gear ratio of 3.9 to 1 and 3 ball bearings that make it easy to propel the bait. The line capacity is 135 yards with a twelve pound test for small to medium sized catch. The one-touch casting requires only the thumb button to cast the line. The reel can be operated with one hand and the anti-reverse further simplifies operation of the reel. The simplicity of operating this spincasting reel will suit adults or teenagers as they learn the art of fishing.
- Okuma VSystem Spinning Reel. For experienced fisherman, this spinning reel comes from a leader in spinning technology, offering a mid-priced product that incorporates high-end technology. The patented elliptical oscillation drive (EOS) keeps the reel stable with superior line lay, constantly engaging the elliptical gears in a two stroke oscillation. In addition, the VSystem technology includes the Dual Drag Force System (DFD) that supplements the traditional multi-disk system to equalize the drag force and reduce friction for smoother operation, even under extreme tension. The Okuma VSystem comes with corrosion resistant bearings and up to fifteen stainless steel ball bearings, as well as a five year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Shimano Tyrnos Reel. Designed for rough saltwater fishing by experienced fishermen, the Shimano comes with four stainless steel rust-proof bearings and a die-cast aluminum frame designed to be ten times more rust resistant than regular S.S. bearings. The high speed five to one gear ratio is well complimented by the oversized handle shank, providing added torque and supreme line casting. In addition, some models include a switch button to lower gear ratio to 2.5 to one and even two to one. The oversized gears provide extreme cranking power, while the lever-drag system performs well under extreme pressure. Additional features on the Tyrnos include a ratcheting drag lever and a twin pawl anti-reverse system.
- Daiwa Procaster PT33SH Casting Reel. For experienced fishermen looking for a top casting reel, the Daiwa Procaster offers unmatched speed. Considered the fastest baitcaster in the world, this reel offers a ratio of 7.1 to one with a cranking retrieval of over 31 inches of line for every turn of the handle. Built on a one-piece aluminum frame, Procaster features a flipping selector and a line capacity of up to 175 yards. With five stainless steel ball bearings, the Procaster is easy to cast and easy to retrieve.
- Pflueger President Spinning Reel. This ten bearing spinning reel offers the best value for money to experienced fisherman who prefer large catch. With nine ball bearings plus an additional roller bearing, casting and retrieving is smooth and easy. An anti-reverse and one-way clutch bearing ensures solid hooksets. Choose between rosewood barrel knobs or large soft touch handle knobs depending on the reel model. With a line capacity of between 104 pounds to 230 pounds, the Pflueger is recommended for bass and trout fishing.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
19 Men’s Grooming Gaffes That Totally Turn Women Off
And what to do about them.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.