5 Best Foods For Clear Skin
Want to learn about the 5 best foods for clear skin? Are you wondering if what you eat affects how clear your skin looks? Although no one food in particular has been shown to cause acne, there is a clear correlation between your overall diet and the health of your skin. You should avoid highly processed foods and those high in sugar while trying to improve your skin's appearance.
Here are the 5 best foods for clear skin:
- Water is the #1 best food for clear skin. Water flushes toxins from your system, delivers nutrients to your cells, and keeps you hydrated. An easy rule of thumb is to be sure to drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day.
- Fish can be eaten to promote healthy skin. Fish, especially salmon, tuna and halibut, are high in essential Omega-3 fatty acids such as eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Omega-3s can only be obtained through diet since the body cannot produce them. Omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to reduce inflammation and may be useful as a psoriasis treatment. Dry skin and poor circulation are both symptoms of Omega-3 deficiency.
- Whole grain foods are high in fiber and low in sugar. Whole grain breads, pasta, and rice are nutrient-dense, especially compared to their highly processed counterparts. Whole grains are high in antioxidants and have low glycemic indexes, which contributes to stable blood sugar. Overall, these healthy properties promote the development of clear skin.
- Spinach and other dark vegetables are loaded with antioxidants, and high in nutrients and fiber. Ever see Popeye with a pimple? Seriously, green vegetables, especially leafy ones, contain the vitamins and minerals necessary for healthy skin. Avoid boiling vegetables as it leaches the nutrients. Instead, you should steam or sauté vegetables in order to maintain their nutritional value.
- Olive oil contains a lot of monounsaturated fats, especially oleic acid, which is good for your heart and skin. Olive oil is nutrient dense and its properties promote good circulation and clear, healthy skin. Extra-virgin olive oils tend to be the best tasting and have the lowest acidity. Whenever possible choose to cook and consume olive oil as an alternative to other less healthy oils.