5 Best Football Fight Songs
The 5 best football fight songs include entries from the college ranks and from the NFL. When your favorite team scores, there is a good chance that you know all of the words to their fight song by heart. Now check out the list of the 5 best football fight songs of all time.
- Buffalo Bills - "Shout!" (1959) - Isley Brothers. The Buffalo Bills took the Isley Brothers song "Shout!" (1959) and added their own lyrics to it to make the Buffalo Bills fight song. The song is so important to Bills fans that when the Bills announced in the late 1990's that they would be changing the fight song, a movement started to keep "Shout!" as the team's song. The Bills eventually relented and kept their familiar and popular fight song.
- Washington Redskins - "Hail To The Redskins" (1935) - Corinne Griffith. In a town that spends most of its time hailing the Chief that lives in the White House, the Washington Redskins decided to make a song hailing themselves. It was originally written in 1935 by Corinne Griffith, the wife of former team owner George Preston Marshall. But the lyrics and music changed significantly and frequently between 1935 and 1938. The 1938 version was named the official team song prior to that season, and it has remained ever since.
- Green Bay Packers - "Go! You Packers! Go!" (1931) - Eric Karll. The fight song for the Green Bay Packers is the longest running fight song in the NFL. When the team started out its colors were blue and gold, and the lyrics reflected that. Later in the team's history the colors were changed to green and gold, and the song had to be altered to reflect the uniform changes.
- Florida State University - "The Fight Song" (1950) - Tommy Wright. This is one of the most upbeat college fight songs ever written. When the Seminoles take the field or score points, this song rings out immediately from the band and every student in attendance sings along.
- Notre Dame University - "Notre Dame Victory March" (1908) - Michael Shea / John Shea. When people refer to the only college fight song they have ever heard, it is usually "Notre Dame Victory March" (1908). It is one of the oldest college football fight songs ever written, and it is played for one of the oldest college football programs around.