When it comes to choosing the 5 best French songs, having knowledge of the language isn't important. A song is good when it makes you want to sing along, dance, or cry. A song is the best if it can make you do those things without understanding the lyrics, which is why these five made it on the list of the 5 best French songs:
- "Frére Jacques." Anyone who has taken a French class knows this song. Chances are, even if you have never taken a French class, you can sing this French song in French or English. Frére Jacques is a classic children's song about a lazy monk who sleeps through the ringing bells of morning. Kids are always singing this song, in French, and without having a clue what they are singing. It is just that catchy of a tune.
- "Dur Dur D'être Bébé" by Jordy. This French song translates to "It's hard to be a baby," which doesn't make too much sense when Jordy was at least 3 or 4 years old when he recorded this song. That's right, Jordy was a little kid who had a huge hit with this French song. Despite that, it's easy to sing along to the French lyrics, no matter how old you are and how much of a fool you sound like. If nothing else, you will listen to this song and for the rest of the day you will be chanting, "Oh la la, baby."
- "La Mer" by Charles Trénet. This song is best known to Americans as "Beyond the Sea." Although they have the same tune, the lyrics of the two songs are very different. "La Mer" came first and that's why it has a place here on the list of the best French songs. The melody makes you want to sway like on a ship at sea, and most likely, sing along with the English lyrics rather than the French lyrics.
- "La Vie En Rose" by Edith Piaf. Many performers have sung this song and there is a high chance you've heard at least one of them sing it. However, Edith Piaf sang it first and she deserves the high praise on this list of the best French songs. "La Vie En Rose" is a beautiful song that is best just listened to quietly instead of attempting to sing the French lyrics that you have no clue about.
- "Love is Orange" by Orange Lounge. This song was featured in the Dance Dance Revolution video games. It is fast paced and sounds like a spy song from a James Bond film. The lyrics are fast and impossible to understand, but that's okay because you'll just "la la" through the entire French song anyway. Also, don't be surprised if you find yourself shaking your head to the music like a bobblehead doll.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …