5 Best Golf Courses: Florida
Some of the 5 best golf courses in Florida host PGA Tour tournaments that draw in the likes of Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson, while others were designed by the greats of the game, such as Arnold Palmer. The courses one thing in common--once you step foot on any of the eighteen-hole tracks, you know you are playing somewhere special.
- TPC Sawgrass This course was designed by famed golf course architect Pete Dye, host of the Players Championship and golf's “fifth major.” This course is perhaps most famous for the par-three seventeenth, a short hole of about 140 yards that's punctuated by an island green. Each year, the best golfers in the world battle their nerves as they face the difficult shot over water and onto an undulated, slick green. This is one of many reasons why TPC Sawgrass is one of the five best golf course in Florida. TPC Sawgrass: 110 Championship Wy. Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082. (904) 273-3235
- Seminole Golf Club The Donald Ross-designed beach-side track opened in 1929. Ross designed the course to make most of the dangers long, meaning the course is not meant to be attacked. Other perks include a well-constructed design and slick, undulated greens. Ross has designed some of the best golf courses in America and this is, by far, his best golf course in Florida. Seminole Golf Club: 901 Seminole Blvd. North Palm Beach, FL 33408. (561) 626-0280
- Mangrove Bay Golf Course This course is noted for being a favorite among golfers of all skill levels. It's a fairly open layout, but marsh, water and other hazards do creep up on you on some holes. This is not only one of the best courses in Florida, but it's affordable--green fees will usually be in the forties. Mangrove Bay Golf Course: 875 62nd Ave. N.E. St. Petersburg, FL 33702. (727) 893-7800
- TPC Doral The course plays host to the PGA Tour's CA World Golf Championship, an event that draws in the world's greatest golfers. This course is also called the Blue Monster due to the last hole, a beast that statistically is one of the toughest par-fours each year. Water comes into play off the tee and at the green with virtually no bail-out room. This course is widely popular among PGA Tour players. TPC Doral: 4400 N.W. 87th Ave. Miami, FL 33178. (305) 592-2000
- Bay Hill The course, designed by Arnold Palmer, plays host to the Bay Hill Invitational each year. Tiger Woods is famous for winning this event six times in his career. Water comes into play on most of the eighteen holes, including the last--a lengthy par-four that is famous for some of golf's greatest highlights. Bay Hill: 9000 Bay Hill Blvd. Orlando, FL 32819. (407) 876-2429