5 Best Government Jobs In California
The 5 best government jobs in California are those jobs that afford you the most power. However, as you know from Peter Parker's Uncle Ben in the Spider-Man comics, with great power comes great responsibility, so these government jobs in California are also very high-pressure despite the power you may have.
- Governor. The governor of California is the best government job in California, and this was epitomized in the last several years no better than with the election of Arnold Schwarzenegger as governor. With this title also came the pejorative nickname, "The Governator." As the governor of California in particular, if you are a Republican, you usually get the additional frustration of working with a state legislature that is all made up of Democrats, meaning you have to compromise, or else!
- Lieutenant Governor. California's Lieutenant Governor is the second-best government job in California because it is right beneath the Governor in power and prestige. If the Governor ever gets incapacitated due to death, sickness or any other reason, it is your time to take over the reins, chief! In California, there is also the curious feature of the office of this government job: You are elected by the voters separately and don't run on a joint ticket with the Governor.
- Speaker of the California State Assembly. As Speaker of the state legislature of California, you have the third-best government job in the state because you get to dominate the flow of legislation in the state assembly, as well as the all-important committee assignments. Now, though you are a member of California's lower house, you are in a body which traditionally wields more power than the upper house.
- Minority Leader of California State Senate. Though it may sound like you wield little power as the Minority Leader, you actually can influence events in this body a whole lot, a reason that this is California's fourth-best government job. Since politics in the US is based on protecting the minority, as the Minority Leader, you can be instrumental in blocking or holding up legislation that the majority wants to pass, provided that they do not have a super majority, which is rare.
- California State Controller. The fifth-best government job in California is the State Controller for the simple reason that he controls the state's power to investigate every final dollar that the state doles out. As the Chief Financial Officer of this state, this government job also is demanding as you will actually sit on a total of 76 boards and commissions.