In case you're wanting to satisfy your Friday movie night with a taste of Bollywood and some great laughs, here is a list of the 5 best Hindi comedy movies. You're sure to have a rolling good time.
- "Hera Pheri." "Hera Pheri" means "monkey business," and in Priyadarshan's 2000 comedy film, you're sure to find some. Starring Akshay Kumar, Paresh Rawal, Sunil Shetty and Tabu, it is a remake of Siddique-Lal's Malayalam film, "Ramji Rao Speaking" (1989). Akshay Kumar plays Raju, a tenant of Paresh Rawal's character Baburao Ganpatrao Apte (also known as Babu Bhaiyya). Raju is a fan of easy money, working as a con artist. When a mix up in the telephone directory causes he, his roommate and his landlord to become entangled in a kidnapping plot, will Raju be able to con his way out of the situation?
- "Golmaal." Starring Ajay Devgan, Arshad Warsi, Sharman Joshi, Tusshar Kapoor and Rimi Sen, "Golmaal" is a 2006 Hindi comedy film about four friends: Gopal, Lucky (a mute), Madhav and Laxman. Laxman is an intelligent student, peer-pressured into running a series of scams by his bosom buddies to score some cash but is consequently thrown out of college as punishment for his actions. Luckily for them, the quartet winds up in the bungalow of a blind couple and collectively pretend to be their grandson–comprised of Laxman's body and Gopal's voice. Throw in the spicy girl next door, Nirali, hidden treasure and a gangster, and you'll understand why "Golmaal" was 2008's surprise hit comedy.
- "Andaz Apna Apna." A self-described "comedy of errors," "Andaz Apna Apna" is a Hindi comedy film from 1994 starring one of Bollywood's most beloved muscle men, Salman Khan, and one of her top funny men, Aamir Khan. Salman Khan plays Prem Bhopali, and Aamir Khan plays Amar Manohar. Like "Hera Pheri"'s Raju, Prem and Amar desire to make money fast without having to work for it, but to do this, they both scheme on marrying the beautiful heiress Raveena, played by none other than Raveena Tandon. When the two rivals for Raveena's love meet, they compete hard, coming up with various schemes to eliminate his rival. Of course, they fail, but then the two join forces to infiltrate Raveena's house and therein earn their prize.
- "Padosan." Indiatimes Movies ranks the movie amongst the Top 25 Must See Bollywood Films, and it's not hard to understand why. Made in 1968, it is a comedy about Bhola, a simple man played by Sunil Dutt, who falls in love with his neighbor Bindu (played by Saria Banu). He wants to sing to her to impress her, but unfortunately, he simply doesn't have the pipes. Enter his friend, Guru Vidyapati, a famous singer, and lipsynching for love begins. The pair fall in love, but Bindu's music teacher Master Pillai is gunning for her affections too. The man comedy lies in the process of the revelation of the fact that Bhola is no singer, but if and when the truth comes out, will Bindu still love Bhola? There are some great songs in this movie, so don't miss out on this Hindi comedy classic.
- "Lage Raho Munna Bhai." The second in the Munna Bhai movies, it stars Sanjay Dutt as Munna Bhai. Munna Bhai is an underworld don (read: mob boss), desperately infatuated with Janhavi (played by Vidya Balan), who is the host of Good Morning Mumbai, a local radio show. In order to win a contest to meet Janhavi in person, Munna Bhai gets a bunch of professors to give him the answers to questions about Mahatma Ghandi, claiming to be a top-ranking professor in Ghandi studies (which he terms Gandhigiri). When he ultimately wins the contest, he is desperate to impress Janhavi and studies up on everything Ghandi, and he starts seeing dead people. This 2006 comedy is a personal favorite in that it's not only a comedy, but it has a pretty good romance, great character building and general all around warm fuzzies to go with the laughs.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …