5 Best Hockey Tryout Drills
By keeping some basic guidelines in mind, you can learn about the 5 best hockey tryout drills. Coming up with great hockey tryout drills is a great way not only to find the best hockey players around, but also have some fun with the athletes.
- Sprint drills. Instruct all of the players to line up in a straight line at one end of the hockey rink. At the count of three, all players should skate as fast as possible to the opposite end of the rink and back. The one who makes it back first wins.
- Shooting drills. Line all players up at mid-rink, and allow them to go one on one with the best goalie you have. Give each player five chances to score a goal. The player with the most scored goals wins the drill.
- Defensive drills. Have the players pair up, and skate against each other as one of them tries to bring the hockey puck from one end of the rink to the other. If the offensive player makes it from end to end, he or she gets one point. Switch positions, and repeat the drill several more times. The player with the most points wins.
- Puck drop drills. Line two players up against each other, and drop a puck between them. The player that manages to get the puck to his or her teammate wins
- Finally, practice some goalie defensive drills. Give each player an attempt in the goal, and shoot a number of pucks at him or her. The player who can stop the most pucks wins.
Posted on: Oct. 31, 2010