5 Best Ice Climbing Spikes
The five best ice-climbing spikes offer the best in stability and traction. The best ice-climbing spikes offer security, comfort and an ease of mobility when scaling an ice-face. When buying your spikes be sure to research the best system that your boots support and that add the greatest fit, comfort and protection.
The ice-climbing spikes are also known as crampons and are specifically made to fit under ice-climbing boots. Keep in mind that not all boots are made to fit spikes and you should consult with the manufacturer or the store where you plan on purchasing your gear to ensure they meet your needs. This could be a costly mistake as both ice-climbing boots and spikes are compatible. You should consider material and types of spikes based on terrain, for this article, we will examine the best spikes for ice terrain.
- Petzl Charlet Sarken Leverlock Crampons are the best spikes on the market. They off no tool adjustments, for ease in manipulating your spikes to a better fit. The low-profile plates offer greater stability and naturally battle against ice or snow build-up. Made of tempered steel for added durability making these lightweight, four-point spikes the best in promoting confidence.
- Black Diamond Cyborg Crampons offer high performance and the lightest spikes available on the market. With horizontal frontpoints for ease in ice penetration and foothold stability, offers greater abilities in both the ascent as well as descent. Finally, the Micro-Adjust heel lever ensures a correct and precise fit on most plastic or leather boots. This is a fantastic spike, offering top-notch durability and instilling confidence.
- Grivel G-12 New-Matic Crampons with Antibott Device boasts durable chromoly steel and latex underfoot design to guard against build-up. This easily adjustable spike offers greater stability on the mountain as well as on the go flexibility to adjust a changing terrain. Great points front and back to support you on those long scales or tight points.
- C.A.M.P. USA Universal XLC 490 Crampons provides superior grip and unbeatable fit. This lightweight durable spike, distributes force across the base to avoid added stress to the foot and ankle. Aluminum based alloy construction promotes the lightweight but enforced frame with added points fir greater grip and slide.
- Black Diamond Sabretooth Crampons is a tough and durable spike comprised of stainless steel and alloy. The body deters build-up of ice and snow as well as providing a stable underfoot frame. This is a sporting favorite among the ice-mountain climbers and is a proven resource for the professionals.
For additional information on five best ice-climbing boots visit